|Why you little!|
|First Heard||Family Portrait|
"Why you little!" is one of Homer's catchphrases. Most of the time, it is traditionally followed by Homer strangling Bart for whatever reason, commonly being Bart insulting Homer verbally, but in the episode Homer's Phobia, Bart slapped Homer on account of seeing people hitting each other.Homer doesn't strangle Bart because he is too far away, and another time, Homer strangles Bart for no reason. On this occasion, the catchphrase is echoed (“Mona Leaves-a”). Another time, Homer eats a fire stick and tries to burn Bart while strangling him (“Father Knows Worst”). In some episodes, Homer doesn't say Why, you little! before strangling Bart, but instead says something different (i.e, in Blood Feud, when Homer learns Bart already mailed his letter to Mr Burns, he says I'll show you mad in the morning! before choking Bart.
A count of 19 variations was heard on television/mentioned in comics. These uses often differed because the phrase would change to suit the current situation.
- "Why, you little! I'll teach you to laugh at something funny!" (The Simpsons Movie)
- "Don't tell me I'm not capable of good behavior!" (Donnie Fatso)
- "Why you metal..........!" (Used for Bart's replacement robot David in "Treehouse of Horror XVI")
- "Why, you little Borderline psyco-" (Said by B.F. Sherwood in Family Therapy [this is the first variation])
- "Why you cotton-pickin'!" (Used for Cletus in "Home Sweet Homediddly-Dum-Doodily")
- "Choke on your candor!" (Used on Bart after he makes fun of him being attacked by a bear in "The Fat and the Furriest")
- "Well, take note of this!!" (before strangling Bart, believing that he has cheated on his history test, though he later finds out that he didn't in "Sleeping with the Enemy")
- "Why, thee little!" (The pilgrim portrayals of Homer and Bart employed this gag in "The Wettest Stories Ever Told")
- "Pretend to care!" (while strangling Bart in "She Used To Be My Girl")
- "Why you little bastard......!" (after Lisa points out that there are two types of bastard; it should be noted that while Homer is strangling Bart she comments, "That's the angry one." in "Wedding for Disaster")
- "Why, you big...!" (Marge says this as she enters a two-way "why you little!" by strangling Homer who is strangling Bart in "Homer's Night Out".)
- "You stole my money!" (Bart says this as he attempts to strangle Homer in Barting Over. Bart's hands are too small so he pulls Homer's belt off and uses it to strangle Homer.)
- "I paid for your splendor!" (Homer to Bart in Barting Over after seeing Bart's new home and that half of his paycheck went to Bart in him settling in on his new luxuries.)
- "I'll Kwanzaa you!" (after Bart demands Homer's mother, Mona, give him several years worth of holiday money in "Mother Simpson".)
- "I'll audience you! (after Bart tells him that he lost his stranglehold on the audience in his show in "Today, I Am a Clown".)
- "Choke on your lies!" (when Bart tells Homer he did not make a prank call to Brazil in "Blame It on Lisa".)
- "Die, monster!" (when realizing Bart made the Angry Dad cartoons and humiliated him in "I Am Furious (Yellow)")
- "Just run the the camera, you little--!" (when Bart is filming Homer's speech to Marge that he is leaving her because she is going out with Artie Ziff and says "Patty and Selma?! Screw that!" in "Half-Decent Proposal")
- "Why, you very little--" (strangling Bart in a video on "The Girl Who Slept Too Little")
- "Boy - must - die!" (when Bart spills the lotion that makes hair grow in "Simpson and Delilah")
- "I'll show you mad in the morning!" (when Homer realizes that Bart mailed the letter, but Marge scolds him, "Homer, you encouraged him. You should be strangling yourself!" in ''Blood Feud'')
- "Why, you little! I'll teach you to have a libido!" (Strangling Bart as Homer catch him and Milhouse watching softer-than-soft-porn on the Internet I.E. Flanders' 2 female tenants transmitting slightly naughty live webcam shows (no nudity though!) from inside Flanders' own house in episode "Home away from Homer")
- "YOU!! You did this to me!" (when Homer realizes that Bart turned his shirt pink in Stark Raving Dad)
- "Why you monster! And you took my daughter's saxophone too! (Homer's rage at the cat burglar directed at the Channel 6 stage manager in Homer the Vigilante)
- "Choke on my numb, blue hands!" (Homer attempting to strangle Bart with frozen hands in A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again)
- Why you slimy little! (Homer trying to strangle snail Bart in Married to the Blob)
It is revealed in "Brawl in the Family" that Homer had strangled Bart since he was a baby because in the scene where Homer strangled Bart and Lisa told Marge the way she tried to pry them isn't working, Marge told her she had been prying them apart since before Lisa was born.
Bugs Bunny used the same catchphrase with a gremlin in the 1943 Merrie Melodies cartoon, "Falling Hare."
El Matador from Supa Strikas almost does this to Hack until Coach interrupts it during a discussion about a match against Nakama FC on airplane in their trip to Japan, but only saying this quote in episode Beautiful Gaming.
In Disney's 1989 film The Little Mermaid, there's a reference to it when Vanessa strangles Scuttle.