Virtual Bart is a 1993 video game released in 1994 for the SNES and Sega Mega Drive/Sega Genesis by Acclaim.
At a science fair at Springfield Elementary, Bart wanders into a virtual reality machine and must complete all levels to escape from the machine.'.
- "Dinosaur": Bart is a dinosaur that somewhat resembles a coelophysis, on top of Mt. Springfield in the primeval era. The player must survive the various platforming hazards while fighting off other dinosaurs and neanderthalic versions of various Simpsons characters. Homer, as a caveman, is particularly persistent, and appears as a boss along with Moe, attempting to knock Bart into a freezing lake. Sending the two into the lake ends the stage; an ending is played of a frozen Homer on display at the Springfield Museum of Natural History, sighing "D'oh" as Dr. J. Loren Pryor passes by with a plateful of donuts. In the SNES version, Dr. J. Loren Pryor is carrying a tray of fries, a hamburger and a soda.
- "Baby": Bart "relives" his infancy, escaping from his bedroom at the Simpsons' residence to explore. The player must guide Baby Bart through complex platforming sequences while avoiding hazards and animals. Bart eventually ends up in a live circus act, and is safely launched back home via cannon without his parents realizing his absence (at least Marge).
- "Pig": Bart is an escaped pig at Krusty the clown's pork factory. The player must rescue Bart's swine brethren while again surviving platforming hazards and fending off clowns and corporate thugs. After defeating the owners of the factory, an ending sequence plays of Pig-Bart freeing all the captive pigs.
- "Water Slide": Bart slides down a massive, surreal waterside tube at a waterpark, dodging hazards and other waterpark patrons. The slide sometimes forks, with only one path the correct one. Taking the wrong fork will either force the player back (courtesy of a pudgy Homer blocking the way), or ejected from the slide into a bizarre death such as falling off a cliff or being eaten by a lion. Reaching the end of the level grants an ending sequence of a triumphant Bart soaking the twins Sherri and Terri. Blinky the Three-Eyed Fish makes a cameo as both a hazard and a marker for the level's progression meter.
- "Vandal": Bart, from his hiding spot, must hurl tomatoes and eggs at his Springfield Elementary classmates, striking each one. Running out of time and/or throwing objects with classmates remaining results in failure, as does hitting any passing adult (such as Edna Krabbapel, Groundskeeper Willie, Chief Wiggum, and Principal Skinner) and if you hit an adult the game would be over (The exception is Principal Skinner, who can be hit in the posterior when he is bent over).
- "Post-Apocalypse": A spoof of the Mad Max films, Bart is a road warrior attempting to survive a post-nuclear holocaust Springfield. The level plays similarly to such game classics as Road Rash and Mach Rider. The player bikes through a highway while fighting off attacks from bullies Jimbo Jones, who throws bombs from his ATV, and Kearney, who attempts to beat Bart with a chain when he pulls alongside him in a chariot-like vehicle. Completing the level sees Bart return to his home on Evergreen Terrance. Bart's family is revealed to have been long dead, reduced to a group of skeletons on the living room couch. An uncaring Bart shoves their bones out of the way as Krusty's post-apocalyptic TV show is about to air ("Hey, surviving kids!"). In the Sega Genesis version, the road is gray with dotted white lines and the terrain is light brown and the damaged Springfield Nuclear Power Plant has smoke rising from one of its chimneys; but the SNES version, the road is dark purple without any lines and the terrain is light purple and the damaged Springfield Nuclear Power Plant has no smoke rising.
- It is the first Simpsons game released for home consoles to feature recorded dialogue from the show's cast.
- This is the only Simpsons game to be released in Japan.
- In Vandal, Ralph Wiggum appears to be in Mrs. Krabappel's class where Bart belongs, yet in the series he belongs to Ms. Hoover's class with Lisa.