- Please attempt to use proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling on this page!
- Please be clear and concise with your message!
- Please don't forget to sign with --~~~~ !
Birthday theme Edit
Hi Smiley, could you remove the birthday theme now. I think it has been on long enough now. Thanks, ☆The Solar Dragon☆ 06:22, September 28, 2010 (UTC)
- Yep, done. Smiley12 was here at 07:35, September 28, 2010 (UTC)
Come on please. We are currently discussing the new skin as always. ☆The Solar Dragon☆ 20:20, September 29, 2010 (UTC)
Introducing Wikia's new look:Edit
Greetings! As many of you have already seen, Wikia is undergoing some major changes to their site layout. As of Wednesday, October 6th, the change will affect both the appearance and how things are done on several wikis, and come October 20th these changes will effect all Wikia sites. These changes are mandatory as this is not simply a new skin option, it’s actually an upgraded version of the core Mediawiki platform itself. Check out "Experience the new Wikia" for a look at some wikis using the new look, FAQ and the Transition guide.
Transitioning to the New LookEdit
We know you’ve put a lot of work into making your wikis look great in Monaco, so we’ve worked on our end to minimize the amount of effort needed for you to move to the new look. Still, there are some things you’ll want to do in order for your wiki to look its best in the new skin. We strongly encourage you to use our Wiki Transition Guide to make this process as smooth and seamless as possible.
Our new theme designer tool will be available to everyone during the first stage of sitewide roll-out on October 6th. This gives you time to experiment with different themes and chat with your community about what looks best before all visitors see your wiki in the new look.
We know that many of you are Wikia experts, and have a ton of experience to share with newer users, who may need more help with the transition. To tap all your knowledge, we will soon be setting up a page where users can request and provide help on the transition.
The next step is to slowly but surely move all wikis over to the new skin. While there may be some tweaks, the projected schedule is below so that you know what to expect over the coming weeks.
|October 6, 2010
- The new look will continue to be default for logged-out users on the beta wikis
- All logged in users will be able to “switch on” the new look for themselves on any wiki they visit.
- All new wikis created will automatically use the new look.
- Every wiki in the Wikia Lifestyle Hub will showcase the new look.
|October 20, 2010
- All users will see the new look on every wiki.
- Logged in users will have the temporary option of viewing and editing wikis in Monaco.
|November 3, 2010
- The option to use Monaco will be removed.
- The widget dashboard and all widgets are to be discontinued as they were deemed to be underused.
- "Report a Problem" links will also be discontinued with the new skin as they were not used as intended.
- "Email a user" link is gone.
- Page ratings are gone.
- New tool for customizing the colour scheme/theme, including default themes.
- The new look uses a fixed width layout, we are not permitted to change, which might influence the layout of articles quite a bit.
- Wiki logo is replaced with "Wordmark", which admins can customize by adjusting the text & color, or by uploading an image in the theme designer.
- Site notice is no longer on every page. It is now located in the Community Corner and users will receive a notification bubble each time it is updated.
- "My Home" becomes "Wiki Activity" and contains a link to recent changes
- There is a new sidebar area on the right that takes about 1/3 of each page's width, where the recent activity and other "modules" will sit. More "modules" are being developed for it, but there are currently no plans for user-developed modules.
- Two of the categories are listed at top as well the full list at the bottom. Apparently the two chosen will be the categories containing the most pages. There is a blacklist to keep out typical maintenance categories, but it is not wiki specific (atm).
- Edit and talk buttons will be used instead of written links.
- The name of the user who uploaded a picture will be listed underneath the image caption on articles.
To give a few practical examples of what this means: It’s not permitted to remove the right sidebar modules, blogs, and image attribution or add a banner that shifts the entire content area down the page, or alter the fixed width. You can still personalize your wiki with different colors and themes, add large, standout images to the wiki background, create styled templates and tables within the content area. There are plenty of ways to be creative! While these terms will limit what you can do to the overall layout, creativity is still an essential part of Wikia.
If you need any help, or if you have any questions or issues - please feel free to contact me on my talk page and I'll get an answer back to you A.S.A.P.
† 15:41, October 5, 2010 (UTC)
Background Image Edit
Hi, thanks for doing the background image. And thank you for trying to help out before you leave to ShoutWiki. But, could you try and make the images blend into one another, if possible? It would be perfect if you could do that! Effluvium 10:52, November 7, 2010 (UTC)
Why don't you like the new skin?
Thanks. -- - WildMIKE123v5Talk 00:46, June 6, 2011 (UTC)