|Treehouse of Horror VIII||
Cultural References Edit
- "The HΩmega Man" is an extended homage to film The Omega Man, which was one of Mike Scully's favorite movies as a child.
- The song Homer dances to in the church is "War" by Edwin Starr.
- In "The HΩmega Man," Homer runs over Johnny and Edgar Winter while fleeing the mutants pursuing him, and he cries, "Die, you chalk-faced goons!" The Winter brothers are both albino.
- The title "Fly vs. Fly" is a reference to the Mad magazine comic strip "Spy vs. Spy." The segment itself is based on "The Fly."
- The creature with 2 butts that comes out is reference to a Sean Silverstri poem in Where The Sidewalk Ends that explains the positives of a creature like that.
- The creature with Santa's Little Helper's head in one side and Snowball II's head in the other side is similar to CatDog
- In "Easy-Bake Coven", the animators referenced the film The Crucible for many of their designs.
- In "The HΩmega Man" when Ned says why Norms & Freaks can't get along, it is similar to the movie franchise "Monster High" where Normies (Humans) & Monsters do not get along.
- Edna Krabappel is wearing a Scarlet A, which is a reference to the novel The Scarlet Letter.
- "Easy Bake Coven" is loosely based on the Salem witch trials, while the title is a reference to the children's toy called an Easy-Bake Oven. There is a brief reference to the Looney Tunes character Witch Hazel when Marge, Patty and Selma float on their brooms and click their heels before flying away on their brooms.
- Bart uses Taz's sounds when his head is in the fly and there's another reference to the view of the cliff similar to a Roadrunner cartoon.
- Brad Bird has the scary name 'NEVERMORE'. This is based on the poem 'The Raven', also parodied in the original Treehouse of Horror.
- In "Easy-Bake Coven", Homer is dressed as Jeannie from I Dream of Jeannie.
- In "Easy-Bake Coven" segment, Patty and Selma say to Marge, "So you finally left Derwood," which is a reference to the show Bewitched when Sammantha's mother, Endora, would purposely get Sammantha's husband Darren's name wrong because Endora disliked like Darrren. Sort of the same way Patty and Selma think of Homer.
- Ken Wunderlich says, "In the case of the Salem witch trials, 28 `witches' were hung and one was crushed to death with a heavy stone and none of them were burned.
- "Hansel and Gretel" The eating of children.
- The Salem witchburnings Patty and Selma are burned at the stake.
- MacBeth More Eye of Newt and three witches.
- The movie Hocus Pocus Third story of the plot is very similar.
- In the movie Clueless Homer's story about what Lenny said is like the dialogue of this film.
- In the TV series Maniac Mansion Bart mutates into a fly.
- Lost in Space Floyd the Robot looks similar to Robby the Robot.
- Mood shirts changed color with body temperature. Spinoff of mood rings in the 1970s (referenced with Professor Frink's mood pants).
- In "Day of the Dead" dead bodies are laying on the road and sidewalk.
- This is the seventh Treehouse of Horror to have the cast's names changed due to Halloween e.g. Bat Groening. The first six being Treehouse of Horrors II-VII.
- Kang and Kodos originally weren't supposed to appear in this episode, but David Cohen managed to persuade the producers to keep them in.
- Homer already had a bomb shelter built, in the Tracey Ullman short "World War III".
- Marge, Patty and Selma click their heels before flying away on their brooms.
- Marge, Patty and Selma's brooms sound like airliner jet engines when flying.
- Technically, Homer's "That sounds like witch talk to me, Lisa" was correct because if Marge was a witch, then Lisa would be part witch.
- The actual TV rating system does not have a TV-21 or TV-666 rating in real-life.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Scully, Mike. (2006). The Simpsons season 9 DVD commentary for the episode "Treehouse of Horror VIII" [DVD]. 20th Century Fox.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Cohen, David X.. (2006). The Simpsons season 9 DVD commentary for the episode "Treehouse of Horror VIII" [DVD]. 20th Century Fox.
- ↑ Kirkland, Mark. (2006). The Simpsons season 9 DVD commentary for the episode "Treehouse of Horror VIII" [DVD]. 20th Century Fox.