|To Surveil With Love||
- The title is a reference to the movie To Sir, with Love.
- The song played on the beginning of the episode is "Tik Tok" by Ke$ha. It was part of the "Fox Rocks" promotion, a week of music themed episodes in different TV shows on the FOX Channel.
- The episode partially refers to ongoing controversies, in both America and the UK, about surveillance.
- The company that installs the city-wide camera system is called "Orwell Security," a reference to George Orwell and his novel 1984, about a dictatorial government that maintained control over the population by keeping everyone under surveillance.
- Ned saying he did not want to be Big Brother is also a reference to the novel, where "Big Brother" is the name by which the leader of the dystopic, totalitarian government, is known.
- Nagasonic speakers are similar to megasonic speakers.
- The song that plays at the end of the episode and through the credits is Get Ready for This by 2 Unlimited.
- British and American Reality Show 'Big Brother' is referenced in this episode by Ned.
- The CSI: Crime Scene Investigation series is mentioned in one of the school's banners for the second debate.
- The sign on the town hall reads:
- Tonight: Discuss Terrorist Threat. Tomorrow: Regret Actions Taken Tonight.
- El Barto is written on the steps at the police station.
- It is possible that making The American Oafs was a plan from the beginning. Duffman could have given out free Duff stuff so Homer keep a bag with him. Then, somebody working at the power plant deliberately filled up the plutonium. Next, the Springfield Station Man distracted Homer so the town would think that somebody is trying to destroy Springfield. Finally, Nigel Bakerbutcher said the town should put up security cameras, thus starting The American Oafs.
- The plot of a secret reality show being filmed mirrors the plot of The Simpsons: Hit & Run.
- Prince Charles says the same thing Ralph said in Lisa's Rival.
- This is the second episode where a Simpson joins a debate team. The first being The Way We Was.
- When Ned Flanders is looking at the surveillance cameras, you can see an April calendar in the background with X's on it that matches with April 2010. It is Sunday, April 18, 2010.
- The last time Homer pulled money out of his pubic area was in Catch 'Em if You Can.
- Before Marge comes, Jimbo adds an N to a word that has FU and it's likely he was going to write out the f word or use the letters as a shortened version of F you.
- Lisa paints her hair brown in this episode, but in the season 22 episode The Blue and the Gray, she seems not to know where her hairline is, as it's the same color as her skin.
- Homer says "Guess which company had a giveaway last night", but when Duffman leaves it's bright outside.
- The chalks that are on the chalkboard disappears and reappears during Lisa and Megan conversation.
- Mr. Burns says to Smithers that he have the very idiot person to put the plutonium, even though Smithers cannot see Homer because he only have the camera to saw Burns.
- Homer says that it is time to dinner, the clock was saying "6:55" even though the Simpsons ate at 7:00 P.M. Although it could be that Marge was preparing dinner so Homer says that to exaggerate the time.
- Marge was not seen in the Town Hall until she asks if Nigel speaks with an accent.
- As Lisa interrupts Nigel, Maggie disappears.
- At the debate, Lisa argues in favor of school uniforms, but in Team Homer she becomes as despondent as the rest of the students when forced to wear them.
- When Chief Wiggum got a group of residents to watch the screen, since he got bored from watching them, the group included Julius Hibbert, Waylon Smithers, Jr., Luann Van Houten, Kirk Van Houten, Elizabeth Hoover, Helen Lovejoy, Ned Flanders, and Marge Simpson. However, by the end, just Marge and Ned are left.
- When Bart was talking to Homer while his shorts were down, his genitalia cannot be seen by obvious reasons.
- Grandpa crashes Homer's car into the school. But later it appears in great condition as Ned drives it while Homer shoots at the cameras.
- In the promo of this episode, Prince Charles' cat is gray instead of white. Also, the eyes of the cat have the same color as the body. Also in that scene the view was from behind the queen and prince, showing the TV. In the actual episode, the scene is viewed from in front of them, with no possible way to see the TV.
- Ke$ha was not credited for singing the song "Tik Tok" at the beginning.
- With an explosion that big releasing high amounts of radioactivity, everyone near the train station would be instantly killed or severely injured, but Chief Wiggum didn't even get hurt.
- It was mentioned that the Simpsons' backyard was the only blind spot in town, however everyone's houses and backyards would be a blind spot as they are private residences.