The Complete Ninth Season was released in the U.S. and Canada (Region 1) on December 19, 2006, UK (Region 2) on January 29, 2007, and Australia (Region 4) on March 21, 2007. The box set comes in two varieties – a limited edition Lisa Simpson head-shaped box and a standard rectangular box with artwork prominently featuring Lisa and her saxophone. The theme of the set is based around the 200th episode ("Trash of the Titans"), a concert, and an edition of "Rocking Stone" magazine. The spine returns to featuring show regulars (after The Complete Eighth Season's use of one-off characters), with Brandine and Cletus Spuckler.
A special bonus item consists of a sneak peak of the Simpsons Movie (released on Friday, July 27, 2007 in the US) that plays after placing Disc #1 into your DVD player. Homer introduces the short scene by asking the viewers NOT to tell Fox Studios that the clip is here, and to not complain that it's not in color (He then, in typical Homer fashion, screams "What happened to the color!?!" as the clip begins).
Once again, the menus continue in the same format that was used in the Complete Fifth, Sixth, Seventh and Eighth Season DVDs. Also, on each disc, you can hear Lisa playing her saxophone before the menus appear.
The boxset also comes with six musically-themed postcards, including the three album cover parodies featured on the famous edition of Rolling Stone. One non-Rolling Stone postcard has been identified as a parody of a Bob Dylan album cover (Lisa's silhouette).
In the Region 1 and Region 2 versions of the Boxset, some of the episodes in the booklet are incorrectly stated as being on disc two when they are actually on disc one.
- Disc 1
- Disc 2
- Disc 3
- Disc 4
- Audio Commentary on all 25 episodes by various people (including two listed commentaries on the season premier episode).
- The Simpsons Movie Exclusive Sneak Peek
- Animation Showcase: The Principal and the Pauper; Lisa the Simpson (Act 1)
- Illustrated Commentary: "All Singing, All Dancing" with Matt Groening, Yeardley Smith, Mike B. Anderson and Pete Michels
- Illustrated Commentary: "Lost Our Lisa" with Matt Groening, Yeardley Smith, Mike B. Anderson and Pete Michels
- Deleted Scenes Gallery with intro by Mike Scully, and optional commentary with Matt Groening, Mike Scully, Josh Weinstein, David Mirkin, Al Jean and Steve O'Donnell
- Promotional Spots/Commercials: Butterfinger "Alien" (May 1998), Butterfinger "Hit a Homer" (May 1998), Butterfinger "Philosophy" (July 1998), CC's Chips "Parachutist" (June 1998) and CC's Chips "Homerdini" (June 1998)
- Sketch Gallery
- Special Language Feature on "Trash Of The Titans" in four different languages: Polish, Portuguese, German, and Japanese
- Hidden Commentary on "Lisa the Simpson" with Bill Oakley and Josh Weinstein
- A Riff From Matt Groening
- A Moment With U2
- Like in The Complete Eighth Season, there are a few extra deleted scenes seen by pressing the red button that blinks on some of the speakers on the episode menu. The episodes are:
- "The Principal and the Pauper"
- "Treehouse of Horror VIII"
- "The Cartridge Family"
- "Realty Bites"
- "The Joy of Sect"
- "The Last Temptation of Krust"
- "Lisa the Simpson"
- "Simpson Tide"
- "Girly Edition"
- "Natural Born Kissers"
- In the episode menu for "Trash of the Titans", after the short animation, press 7, and then 27 (for July 27, the day The Simpsons Movie opens in 2007) on your DVD remote control, and you'll see David Silverman working on the movie.
- Also, in the same episode menu for "Trash of the Titans", if you wait for the preview clip to end, the words "The 200th" will appear with Homer's eyeballs making the two zeros.
- In the episode "Lisa the Simpson", when Lisa looks at the brain teaser at lunch, press the 6 button on your DVD remote control, and a hidden, episode-long commentary from Bill Oakley and Josh Weinstein reflecting on their time working on the show and saying goodbye will begin. This secret is hinted at by Matt Groening in his intro.
- ↑ The Simpsons Archive review of the season/boxset, 1-1-2007
- ↑ Simpsons, The - Season 9 - List of Extras include Sneak Peak at the Movie!. Retrieved on 2007-01-26.