"The Complete First Season" was released on September 25, 2001 in North America, and September 24, 2001 in the United Kingdom and Ireland. It contains all 13 episodes from the first season, remastered in Dolby Digital 5.1. Although the video quality is generally of a high standard, it is from a broadcast tape and not an original film print, as the show was edited on video. For a list of boxsets, see List of The Simpsons boxsets.
The outer packaging is of the family sitting on the couch with Santa's Little Helper and Snowball II sitting upright with them (used a couple of times in Season 1), whereas the inner packaging and the discs feature the family spinning in a vortex. The spine features Bart and Lisa on the outer casing, and Homer, Marge and Maggie on the inner casing.
- "Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire"
- "Bart the Genius"
- "Homer's Odyssey"
- "There's No Disgrace Like Home"
- "Bart the General"
- "Moaning Lisa"
- "The Call of the Simpsons"
- "The Telltale Head"
- "Life on the Fast Lane"
- "Homer's Night Out"
- "The Crepes Of Wrath"
- "Krusty Gets Busted"
- Audio commentaries for all 13 episodes
- America's First Family, an extract of five minutes from this BBC special
- "Good Night" short from The Tracey Ullman Show
- Outtakes from the original/early prototype version of "Some Enchanted Evening"
- Audio outtakes from "Life on the Fast Lane" with Albert Brooks
- A short animatic from "Bart the General"
- The Life in Hell comic strip, "The Los Angeles Way of Death" from 1982
- Production sketches
- Original scripts for the following:
- Five foreign language clips from "Life on the Fast Lane" in the following languages: French, Italian, Spanish, Japanese, and Portuguese
- Bart T-shirt controversy news report from ABC News (accessed by pressing left to highlight Bart's t-shirt in the second page for the "Extra Features" menu on Disc 3)
- Still gallery of magazine covers featuring the Simpsons that were printed during the 1989-1990 season (accessed by pressing left to highlight the comic book Bart is holding in the "Art of The Simpsons" menu on Disc 3)
- "Bart the General": The opening shot of the Simpson house is missing some of the opening credits. (The original credits remain intact on the Amazon Video and iTunes releases of this episode)
- "The Telltale Head": The most notable edit comes from this episode, which removed a part of Bart's speech to the mob about "taking the town's heritage for granted". (See the references of this episode for more information)
- In the Region 2 and Region 4 releases, the episode "Moaning Lisa" is on Disc 2 and the episodes "The Crepes of Wrath" and "Krusty Gets Busted" are on Disc 3. There is also no commentary on the "Some Enchanted Evening" deleted scenes.
- The Region 2 box art has The Simpsons trademarked logo written in yellow rather than red in Region 1. The spine also features the whole bodies of Bart and Lisa rather than just their heads.
- The episodes "There's No Disgrace Like Home" and "Krusty Gets Busted" feature the original 20th Century Fox Television logo when the episodes originally aired, while the others have the 1989 20th Television logo.
- In Region 2, "Moaning Lisa" is on Discs 2 and 3. The reason why this occurs is unknown.