- This article is about the character. For the guest star, see Sting.
Sting used to be Krusty's opening act, but Krusty fired him in 1969. Sting still bore some resentment toward Krusty for being fired, but when Krusty called him to help record a benefit song for Timmy O'Toole, Sting was quick to respond. The result was "We're Sending Our Love Down the Well", in which Sting had one of the lead vocal parts and sang the opening lines. The song quickly became a #1 hit, but when Timmy O'Toole was revealed to be a prank played by Bart Simpson, it fell all the way to #97.
Nonetheless, Sting pitched in to help when Homer started a citizens' effort to free Bart from the well after he fell in for real and became trapped. Sting worked to the point of near-exhaustion, saying that he couldn't stop as long as one of his fans needed him. Marge started to correct him, saying that she didn't think she'd ever heard Bart playing any of his records, but Homer quickly shushed her, protesting that Sting was a good digger. Sting ended up being the one to break through into the well, and Marge and Homer pushed him out of the way in their eagerness to check on Bart.
Behind the Laughter
- Sting taking part in digging Bart out of the well is both interesting and ironic, as one of his jobs before he became a full-time musician was digging ditches.
- He also previously worked as a teacher, a bus conductor and a tax officer.
- At the age of ten, Sting became "obsessed" with an acoustic guitar left behind by an emigrating friend of his father.
- He gained his nickname after performing onstage with a local band called the Phoenix Jazzmen wearing a black and yellow jumper with hooped stripes.
- Episode – "Radio Bart"
- Episode – "The Springfield Files" (non-speaking cameo)
- Episode – "Lisa the Iconoclast" (non-speaking cameo)
- Episode – "Realty Bites" (non-speaking cameo)
- Episode – "Trash of the Titans" (at U2 concert)
- Episode – "This Little Wiggy" (non-speaking cameo)
- Episode – "Bart the Mother" (non-speaking cameo)
- Episode – "Moe Baby Blues" (non-speaking cameo)
- Episode – "The Italian Bob" (non-speaking cameo)
- Episode – "Elementary School Musical" (non-speaking cameo)
- Episode – "At Long Last Leave" (in Town Hall when everyone decides the Simpson family to leave)
- – The Simpsons Movie