Snowball I (1984-1989) is a white cat and only briefly appears in flashbacks, but has been mentioned numerous times. He was the Simpsons' first cat and was five years old when he died.
Snowball I was, according to Lisa in one of her poems, run over by a Chrysler. Later at some point, it was revealed that Snowball I was ran over by Clovis Quimby, the drunkard brother of Mayor Quimby. Snowball I was buried in the cemetery in the Springfield Pet Cemetery, which is next to Antonio's Ice Palace. However, at one time, his grave was seen in the Simpsons backyard, next to Snowball IV's grave .
Snowball I has been shown as black in some pictures; however, he is generally seen as white. He was named due to his white-colored fur, though in a few occasions, Snowball I is pictured similar to Snowball II. Snowball II's name is an obvious use of irony. Besides his fur color, Snowball I's eyes were green.
Life After Death
Although the Sunday school teacher, Ms. Albright, tells Lisa that Snowball I cannot go to Heaven, this proves to be wrong as Snowball I has been seen in Heaven by characters who have undergone near-death experiences, including Bart, and sometimes in flashback sequences. He was listed as voting for Sideshow Bob in mayoral elections.
Non-CanonIn Treehouse of Horror III, Bart and Lisa try to bring back Snowball I using a zombie spell in the pet cemetery, but inadvertently awaken the human corpses in the nearby Springfield Cemetery.
Behind the Laughter
Many Simpsons books are jokingly dedicated to him. For example, in The Simpsons: A Complete Guide to Our Favorite Family (in which he is mistakenly colored black), the dedication reads, "We hope that they change your cat box in kitty heaven more often than we did down here."
In The Simpsons: Treehouse of Horror: Fun-Filled Frightfest, published by HarperCollins in 2003, the more morbid dedication reads "We're sorry you're gone. You would have made a tasty hors d’œuvre." Also, in The Simpsons Holiday Humdinger, it reads, "As this snow sculpture thaws on the first warm day, so will our hearts melt whenever we think of you."
A passage in Cartooning With the Simpsons reads, "Dedicated to the memory of Snowball I: You may be gone, but we still remember how to draw you." Many other Simpsons books are dedicated to him, but the dedications ceased in 2005.
Snowball II appears in Moaning Lisa and The Telltale Head. These episode were produced before (but aired after) Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire with mentioned Snowball I’s death. So, in the original episode order, it’s written as Snowball I instead of Snowball II.
- Episode – "Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire" (first mentioned)
- Episode – "Moaning Lisa" (original script)
- Episode – "The Telltale Head" (original script)
- Episode – "Bart Gets Hit by a Car"
- Episode – "Stark Raving Dad"
- THOH – "Treehouse of Horror III" (mentioned)
- Episode – "Sideshow Bob Roberts" (tombstone)
- Episode – "And Maggie Makes Three"
- Episode – "'Round Springfield" (mentioned)
- Episode – "Lisa's Sax" (flashback)
- Episode – "Last Tap Dance In Springfield" (mentioned)
- Episode – "I, (Annoyed Grunt)-Bot" (tombstone)
- THOH – "Treehouse of Horror XIV" (mentioned)
- Episode – "Dangers on a Train" (cameo)
- Episode – "Love Is in the N2-O2-Ar-CO2-Ne-He-CH4" (couch gag; skeleton)
- Episode – "Mr. Lisa's Opus" (flashback)
- Book – The Simpsons Uncensored Family Album
|Snowballs I a V|
|Snowball I • Snowball II • Snowball III • Snowball IV • Snowball V|