| Russ Cargill|
|Occupation|| Head of the EPA (Formerly)
|Location||Springfield Penitentiary (Probably)|
|First Appearance||The Simpsons Movie|
|Voiced By||A. Brooks|
- “You ever tried going mad without power? It's boring! No one listens to you!”
- ―Russ Cargill
- “There's a couple of things they don't teach you in Harvard Business School: one is how to cope with defeat, the other is how to handle a shotgun. I'm going to do both right now.”
- ―Russ Cargill, about to shoot Homer
- “Well, always leave them laughing.”
- ―Russ Cargill, moments before Maggie drops a boulder on his head.
Russell "Russ" Cargill is the main villain of The Simpsons Movie. He was the Supreme Commander of the EPA Armed Forces and the Commander of the Dome operation.
Russ was the United States Environmental Protection Agency's Commander and described himself as a rich and successful man assigned to the least successful department of the government. He is first seen after a mutated squirrel is captured in Springfield, and presents it to President Schwarzenegger. He then proposes five different solutions to the mass pollution in Springfield and the result is a giant glass dome placed over the town. He appears to the townsfolk via a giant holographic screen and explains that because Springfield has become the most polluted town on the Earth, the government has decided to contain it. Later, the Simpsons escape the dome, and Russ orders extreme and somewhat strange measures to be taken in support of the containment of the town and towards the capture of the Simpsons. One of his henchmen responds by claiming, "Sir, I'm afraid you've gone mad with power!" to which Cargill responds, "Of course I have. Have you ever tried going mad without power? It's boring; no one listens to you."
Cargill later appears once again discussing with the president, about a solution to dispose of Springfield and takes advantage of Schwarzenegger's attitude towards reading plans, tricking him into choosing a particular plan, which is to destroy Springfield. Later, Russ appears at a train station in Seattle after learning that Marge, Bart, Lisa and Maggie are on a train headed there and sends his troops in to capture them and return them to the dome. When the family are brought back after Homer's failed attempt to rescue them, Russ contacts the town once again via the screen and tells them that the EPA is going to destroy Springfield and everybody within the dome. A helicopter arrives, lifts a plug off the top of the dome and lowers a bomb on a rope in front of the now-destroyed City Hall. Russ impatiently oversees the countdown, and Cletus Spuckler distracts him so the townspeople can escape up the rope. Homer, who has climbed the outside of the dome, jumps through the hole and knocks everyone and the bomb off of the rope and accidentally brings forward the detonation timer, prompting Russ to disappear at this point. Once the bomb detonates outside the dome and shatters it, a worn and battered Cargill wielding a shotgun ambushes Homer and Bart at Springfield Gorge and prepares to kill them in a final attack, but he is pranked by Bart Simpson about the "Treasure of Ima Weiner" before he is suddenly knocked out by a large rock shoved off from a nearby ledge by Maggie before he can fire a single shot. He survived because he was later seen during the ongoing reconstruction.
He was rumored to appear in Sky Police but this has proven to be false.
He was also seen in Simpsons Comics The Death of Comic Book Guy Part 2. In it, he is giving President Arnold Schwarzenegger the news that people won't be insulted on the Internet anymore. Schwarzenegger then says that he thought that he had fired him and does so after he's finished telling him. Later, in the same comic, he is seen working for Mayor Quimby and telling him about the fight between the nerds and the geeks.
Behind the LaughterEdit
In The Simpsons Movie, Russ Cargill is voiced by Albert Brooks. His character has gone through many changes over the course of its development. An early version of the White House scene in the movie (available as a deleted scene in the Simpsons Movie DVD) shows an older and dorky model of Russ Cargill, who is arguably less menacing and antagonistic than the current incarnation. The older version is also the version given out in Burger King Kid's Meals promoting the movie.
It was also originally intended for him to be defeated by President Schwarzenegger with a tree branch but it was changed to Maggie with a boulder.
Russ Cargill was not the first villain intended for the Simpsons Movie. The original villain was to be Hank Scorpio from the Season 8 episode "You Only Move Twice", but was changed for an unknown reason.
- It is unknown how Cargill's clothes got ripped and torn before facing Homer and Bart outside Springfield. However, there is a possibility that he and his team were outside of the dome before it exploded.
- The idea for him could have possibly been based on Bill Clinton's Vice President Al Gore as like Cargill, he's an Environmentalist. Al however, is far more peaceful and is willing to raise awareness instead of using harsh and genocidal methods, and Al is far more kinder, while Cargill is ruthless and completely irredemable.
- The impact of the boulder hitting his head could have caused some brain damage.
- Russ Cargill aiming him double-barreled shotgun at Homer Simpson contains a stock footage of Mr. Burns aiming his Double-barreled pump action shotgun at Comic Book Guy is from Treehouse of Horror XVI.
- Russ Cargill has a double-barreled shotgun appears to be a break action, straight grip stock, one trigger inside a trigger guard, no opening lever, a front sight on top between the two barrels, and has two hammers.
- Although Homer's boss Mr. Burns is the main antagonist of the series, Cargill has the role of the main antagonist of the film because he had bigger plans than anyone else. Plus Burns wasn't very evil in the movie.
- – The Simpsons Movie
- Episode – "He Loves to Fly and He D'ohs" (Opening Sequence only)
- Comic book – The Death of Comic Book Guy, Part 2
|Russ Cargill • Colin • Medicine Woman • Plopper • Multi-eyed squirrel • Arnold Schwarzenegger • Panicky Man • Bomb Disarming Robot|