- “My cat's name is Steve.”
- “I bent my Wookie!”
- “My cat's breath smells like cat food.”
- “My daddy shoots people!”
- “I drank blue juice from under the sink!”
- ―Ralph in The Simpsons Game
- “My Imaginary friend thinks you are stupid.”
- “I'm a pop sensation!”
- “Can you open my milk, mommy?”
- ―Asking Ms. Hoover to open his milk
- “Me fail English? That's unpossible”
- ―Ralph after receiving an academic alert in Lisa on Ice
Raphael 'Ralph' Wiggum is a student at Springfield Elementary School. He is best known as the Springfield's resident oddball, and has been immortalized for his non sequiturs and erratic behavior. His lines range from purely nonsensical, or bizarre interpretations of a current event, to surprisingly profound statements that go over people's heads. It was revealed in Moms I'd Like to Forget that this was because his dad dropped him on his head when he was a baby. For this, Ralph is somewhat of an outcast among his peers, although he seems to be on good terms with a fair number of the other kids at school, such as Bart and Lisa and Milhouse.
The son of Police Chief Clancy and Sarah Wiggum, Ralph is a good-hearted and generally well-meaning boy who suffers from either severe learning and social disabilities, and/or some other form of childhood psychiatric disorder. The nature of his mentality is kept rather ambiguous, much like many of the signature traits of much of the show's cast. Like almost every other character in Springfield, he may not be quite as simple as he first seems, as evidenced by his hinted immense potential as a performer.
Ralph is quite an enigma of a child. Upon first glance, one might mistake him for a child with dementia; or perhaps they might even look at him as mentally challenged. What is definite however, is that he can't help it, as evidenced by his apparently slow grasp of things in the world around him, his difficulty in studying, and his sporadic speech impediments. It is shown in Moms I'd Like to Forget, that he was a normal, well functioning baby, until he was dropped on his head by his father. His unique manner of speech is often the source of the character's trademark random quotes, where Ralph may make a comment such as "What's a battle?", "It tastes like... burning!", or "Mr. Flanders, you're blindeded!," as well as his tendency to call his teacher "School Mommy" and on one occasion calling Superintendent Chalmers "Super Nintendo Chalmers." He appears to have several talents. He is an incredible tap dancer and played the role of George Washington in the school play. As Washington, he not only recited his lines perfectly but also managed to play the role so well that he brought the audience to tears. In Season 2 (or Season 3), he seems not to be having speech impediments, and learning disabilities. He is in his first year of second grade. He's also shown to be able to drive his father's police car.
Ralph Wiggum is often seen in very awkward situations such as eating paste, crayons, worms, clay, knobs, lamps, and the Easter bunny, and other such erratic forms of behavior that have since become a staple of the character. Ralph has a rather immense imagination, and is seemingly oblivious to the world around him. As such, he is generally a cheerful boy. However, Ralph also has a hint of tragedy and dark satire to him, like almost every other character on the show. Throughout the show's history, Ralph is eternally the odd one out among his peers at school. He has connections because his father is Chief of Police. Ralph seems to generally get along with many people, as well as occasionally irritate and baffle them. After Lisa gave him a Valentine out of pity, Ralph developed a crush on her. Lisa publicly breaks up with him and Ralph is left devastated. The pair eventually become friends and Lisa has generally been nice toward him since. Bart is rather long suffering of Ralph. On one occasion, Bart is forced by his mother Marge to play with Ralph. He is at first bored with Ralph but ends up having fun after they steal Clancy Wiggum's master key to the city, and Bart eventually admits that Ralph is a friend. He is also Bart's "last resource" friend for when nobody else would spend time with him. Ralph's relationship with his parents seems to be loving and affectionate. Clancy, in particular, rather adores his son as the two do much together, such as various road trips or Ralph's first trip to a major league baseball game. Ralph can be quite a handful, however, and there are times where Clancy can be neglectful of his son as well. His favorite food is school supplies. Ralph has a multitude of imaginary friends such as Wiggle Puppy and a pyromaniacal leprechaun being particularly well known among viewers. Ralph's teacher, Miss Hoover, is indifferent to his personality and his imagination. Though she will often correct him in a dull, condescending manner, ("The children are right to laugh at you, Ralph," she tells him at one point) she has yet to outright scold him. This could be because, as he told his father, she is "tired of trying," as he usually misses the point.
Ralph was also part of a rather infamous hoax where Homer, Skinner, Apu, Lenny, Carl, Chief Wiggum and others had become so fed-up with the whole issue of voting early for the election that they decided to cast all of their votes to someone who was not only unbelievably small, but also so young and unbelievably unintelligent it would be impossible for him to be considered a candidate (and they ultimately chose Ralph). Ironically, Lisa discovers that Ralph is not only aware of what being nominated means, but is also taking the idea of being elected very seriously. Using his childish behavior, he intentionally manipulated the Republican and Democratic parties to join forces in their support of him. Ralph Wiggum is best at sleeping and acting.
During class, Ralph's teacher Miss Hoover will stop lecturing the class for a moment to question Ralph's actions such as eating something he shouldn't, or saying something bizarre or oblivious. Another common 'Ralph' moment is him being at a major event, and saying something to either perplex everyone present with its insight, or point out something so glaringly obvious it's funny. Ralph has quite a knack for getting himself into sticky situations as well. Examples of Ralph moments include him gorging himself with chocolate, being profiled by a scary dentist, pretending to be a firetruck, saying that he is afraid of chicken legs, pretending he is an imaginary puppy (see This Little Wiggy). When Bart was skateboarding naked, saying "I like men now", and proclaiming that he will attend "Bovine University". He has been shown wetting himself in public. Similarly, in the future, he can be seen talking to a classmate by the punch bowl, saying "I can use the potty now." At one point, during a contest for children regarding making a future Springfield Nuclear Power Plant, after Mr. Burns bluntly told him "Thank you, get out!" when Ralph's "project" (which was a Malibu dream house with the word "nuclear power plant" replacing dream house), he stood at the stage blankly staring at the present audience, and only moved to get off the stage with his project after his father yelled from the crowd "Uh, Ralphie? Get off the stage, sweetheart!" Also, in a moment when Skinner was looking at the building sadly and remembering touching moments with kids saying things like "I know how to read" and "thank you, Principal Skinner," Ralph's distinctive voice saying "Principal Skinner, I got carsick in your office", is heard. His usual traits were also referenced in the cover of an article for TV-Guide, where Ralph Wiggum was the only one to remain focused on smiling for a group photograph with most of Springfield's cast, when the others, even his father, ended up distracted by Bart Simpson streaking past the group. This seems to have subsided a little recently, although appearances by Ralph himself have been lighter. Ralph has also demonstrated signs at being borderline psychotic, as he has stated that there is a rock in his yard, where he saw a leprechaun, who told him to burn things. When he later helps save the Mayor of Springfield with Bart and Lisa, the leprechaun appears and tells him, "You've done grand laddie. Now you know what you have to do? Burn the house down! Burn them all!" with Ralph smiling vacantly and nodding in agreement.
Ralph has been shown with different children all the time. One time Bart stood up for him to the bullies and befriended him, but most of the time he isn't bullied. He is more commonly shown with the rest of the second grade class: rolling down hills and climbing trees.
Lisa is also one of Ralph's friends, and was once his so-called girlfriend, but that ended when Lisa said that she didn't really love him. Ralph asks Lisa for test answers now.
Ralph has had many romances throughout the series. In "I Love Lisa" Ralph dates Lisa Simpson; later Lisa publicly breaks up with him and in the end they are just friends. In "See Homer Run" he is seen with Terri, playing with her and Lewis in a swimming suit with a water cannon in mid June. His future wife is possibly Lisa, although she would have had a romance with Milhouse. Ralph also "came out" during the Simpsons Movie, however this was not followed up.
Non Canon Appearance
In the episode Lisa's Wedding, he becomes one of Krusty's sideshows but is arrested. In the episode Holidays of Future Passed there are many clones of him including two chiefs, a truck driver and burning clone of him. The first clone told Bart that he died and he was turned into a clone. In the episode Days of Future Future, a future version of Ralph appears to be a police officer like his father. Similar to Holidays of Future Passed.
It is shown in Simpsorama, Ralph's grave said 2006-2017, meaning a rumor of Ralph getting killed off in 2017 is out.
The Simpsons Road Rage
Ralph Wiggum appears as both a driver and a potential passenger
The Simpsons Hit and Run
Ralph Wiggum is a character in the game. He plays a slightly major role in Level 2, where he acted as the third person Bart can buy illegal fireworks from. Based on his comment to Bart just before giving him the fireworks ("My daddy's going to put you in jail, bye!") and Chief Wiggum proceeding to give chase to Bart with the threat of having Bart serve five life sentences of Community Service for the purchase of illegal fireworks, he may have been used by his father in a sting operation against any potential sales of Illegal Fireworks. Aside from this, Ralph also appears in every level but the final one as a Springfield DMV referee for street races, always acting as the third one (he is absent from the final level alongside the other two judges because of zombies taking over their positions). Unlike the other judges (Milhouse and Nelson), it was never made clear why he was hired by Selma and Patty Bouvier to act as a judge, although his exchange with Lisa in the third level implies that his father arranged for the two to hire him as punishment for presumably acting out at the hardware store. In the fifth level, both Apu and Ralph implied that they had been involved in an incident where Ralph nearly managed to somehow drown himself in nacho cheese, and that the event was notable enough to cause newspaper headlines.
The Simpsons Game
In the PS3 and X360 versions, Ralph is an enemy in Mob Rules. Ralph later appears along with Rod and Todd Flanders as Hobbit-like children who help Homer and Marge defeat the two-headed dragon in order to get the keycard. He also appears as a holder of one of the three Sparklemon that Homer and Lisa must defeat. At the end of the game, he is seen watching the closing moments of the Simpsons family talking with God, then he sees the player and says "Daddy... someone's looking at me."
- Why do people run from me? (wets pants)
- (Talking to Ned Flanders) Normal is an illusory state, the only constant is change.
- (Presenting an award) When I grow up, I wanna be a principal or a caterpillar.
- (Walking near him) Ice-cream tastes like melting.
- (To Bart) This is my sandbox. Over there is the deep end, I'm not allowed to go in there. That's where I see the leprechaun, he tells me to burn things.
- (To Vicki Valentine) Teacher, my shoes are making noise!
- (To Lisa) You ruined the video game, and I ruined my pants.
- (To Lisa) I can't believe I used to go out with you!
- Me fail English? That's unpossible! in "Lisa on Ice".
- (To Vicki Valentine) My daddy shoots people!
- Miss Hoover, I glued my head to my shoulder.
- (To Miss Hoover) Can you open my milk, Mommy?
- (To Miss Hoover) My worm entered my mouth and I ate it. Can I have another one?
- My cat's breath smells like cat food.
- I love glue!
- I eated the purple berries. (groaning in pain) Bart: How are they, Ralph? Good? Ralph: They taste like... burning.
- (After a dam breaks and floods the city) I think I wet the bed.
- Look Daddy, I made a Ralphwich! It tastes hurty.
- (To Lisa) Hi Liar.
- (Future Ralph) I got cloneded. (in Holidays of Future Passed)
- (Other Ralph clone after watching one die) That Ralph was stupid. (in Holidays of Future Passed)
- All my friends have birthdays this year.
- I don't have a red crayon. Miss Hoover: Why not? Ralph: I ate it.
- I'm a furniture.
- I'm playing with Elmo.
- The happiest day of my life was when the doctor said I wouldn't hear voices anymore.
- Fun toys are fun.
- I dress myself!
- I'm pedaling backwards!
- Miss Hoover, there's a dog in the vent!
- Help! She's touching my special area.
- (After being thrown through a window) I'm a brick.
- I'm going to Africa. There's lions, and monkeys, and Santa.......
- And, when the doctor said I didn't have worms any more, that was the happiest day of my life.
- Will you cook my dinner for me? My parents aren't around and I'm not allowed to turn on the stove.
- I wanna be a triangle.
- Dying tickles.
- (dressed as princess Leia) I'm a Star Wars.
- I bent my Wookiee!
- I'm special.
- (insulting Bart) You're going to Heaven.
- (on the phone with Krusty) I flushed a potato down the toilet, now we have to live in a hotel!
- (School play about why Mr. Burns should donate money to the school) Hello, I'm Dr. Stupid. I'm going to take out your liver bones. Decapitates a Mr. Burns dummy with a saw. Oops, you're dead.
- Mr. Burns: I never liked that Dr. Stupid.
- (after being scared) I'm going back inside Mommy!
- (Watching Marge cry) Your eyes need diapers.
- Lisa is a sellout! Lisa is a sellout! Lisa, what's a sellout?
- (After falling on a wind stock) I almost died.
- (To Marge at the door) Can Lisa come out with her hands up? (Waves his hand to Chief Wiggum)
- (Squishes an ice cream cone on his forehead) I'm a unitard!
- (Covered by ants) These dots ate Itchy!
- (On bus) Go banana!
- Yay! Field day! I can go cuckooing and no one can stop me!
- (Rolled up in a map) When I come out of this, I'll be a butterfly!
- I'm a fun factory! (Puts Play-Doh in mouth and squeezes it out of his nose and ears)
- (To Ms. Cantwell) If I can't remember the right letter, I'd just put an A!
- (To Groundskeeper Willie after he puts Ralph down from a horse) I like the Play-Doh that comes out the back!
- (At the temporary tattoo station) I want kitty whiskers!
- If mommy's purse didn't belong in the microwave, why did it fit?
- I wet my arm pants!
- Grandma had hair like that when she went to sleep in her forever box!
- I'm bembarrassed for you.
- (To Lisa) Hi, Lisa! (To Superintendent Chalmers) Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers! (in Lisa Gets an "A").
- (After getting announced for an academic alert by Principal Skinner) I won, I won!
- (To Lisa when he's using the computer) I'm learnding!
- (While using the gas station bathroom) Yo, I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want, so tell me what you want, what you really really want. I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want, so tell me what you want, what you really really want!
- (To Principal Skinner after he asked Ralph if he's finished going to the bathroom) I finished before we came in!
- I'm Idaho!
- My knob tastes funny.
- (To the Forest Fire Bear while Ralph sits on his lap) And I want a bike! And a monkey! And a friend for the monkey!
- (To the Forest Fire Bear after he asked Ralph if he's going to start any fires) At my house we call them uh-oh's!
- (To Chief Wiggum after eating a sample of Tomacco) Eww, Daddy, this tastes like Gramma!
- Lisa's bad dancing makes my feet sad.
- Look, Big Daddy! It's Regular Daddy!
- (To Chief Wiggum) Look, Daddy! A whale egg!
- (To Chief Wiggum) Daddy, I'm scared! Too scared to wet my pants!
- This snowflake tastes like fish sticks.
- My parents won't let me use scissors.
- Slow down, Bart! My legs don't know how to be as long as yours!
- Principal Skinner, I got carsick in your office.
- Dear Miss Hoover, you have Lyme disease. We miss you. Kevin is biting me. Come back soon. Here's a drawing of a spirochete. Love Ralph.
- Bushes are nice 'cause they don't have prickers. Unless they do. This one did. Ouch!
- The doctor told me that BOTH my eyes were lazy! And that's why it was the best summer ever.
- I kissed a light socket once and I woke up in a helicopter!
- (To Bart) Don't I look stupid? (Runs into the wall repeatedly and makes a hole)
- (Sees electrical wires in the wall after running into it) Mmm, wall licorice! (Chews on wires causing him to get electrocuted, then faints)
- (While drowning in the pool) I'm finding Nemo!
- (While leaving through a pipe after drowning) I saw heaven!
- (To a goat at Martin's party with shrimp in his hand) Want some peanuts, Mr. Elephant?
- (To the Groundskeeper after realizing that the "elephant" is a goat, the "shrimp" is peanuts, and the goat is allergic to shrimp) Your breath smells like "Don't drink that"!
- He's gonna smell like hot dogs.
- (While coming out of the melting donut hole from the new Lard Lad statue that's melting) Th-th-th-th-th-that's all, folks! (The statue's melted wax pours on Ralph)
- When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!
- I ate too much plastic candy.
- I ate all my caps...ow!
- I found a moon rock in my nose!
- I'm wearing a bathrobe, and I'm not even sick.
- You have the bestest Dad. He read me a story about Chinese food.
- My face is on fire.
- The doctor said I wouldn't have so many nosebleeds if I kept my finger out of there.
- (To Marge Simpson after she calmed Ralph down from running around and playing by himself) Your hair is tall and pretty!
- Wheeee... ow I bit my tongue!
- Oh boy, sleep! That's where I'm a Viking!
- Was President Lincoln okay?
- I want a tricycle, and a dog who won't chew my Hot Wheels, and a brighter future for America! I'm Ralph Wiggum and I have been a good boy!
- (While getting carried by birds during The Simpsons Ride) I'm a baby bird!
- Clouds are God's sneezes!
- Martin Luther King had a dream. Dreams are where Elmo and Toy Story had a party and I went there. Yay! My turn is over!
- Your toys are fun to touch. Mine are all sticky.
- Hee hee! I'm in danger!
- I'm the smartest ball in the bag!
- (After he returns from Kamp Krusty) I have lemon-lime disease!
- I'm an exclamation point!
- I'm a millionaire!
Behind the Laughter
In Ralph's first credited appearance in the show was the episode "Moaning Lisa", he was considerably different in both appearance and behavior from his later appearance, although he also briefly appeared in the first episode Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire. Ralph's signature use as a character in the show is to deliver either an odd bit of behavior, or dialogue which either perplexes others or merely gives the audience a quick laugh. Originally intended to be a "Mini-Homer", Ralph eventually took on a life of his own. The staff figured that he'd also fit perfectly as the son of Chief Wiggum, a fact made canon in "I Love Lisa", (although he is referred to by his last name of Wiggum in "Kamp Krusty" before). Ralph was named after comedian Jackie Gleason's character on The Honeymooners Ralph Kramden. Matt Groening considers any lines for Ralph "really hard to write."
Nancy Cartwright, the voice of Ralph, raises her eyebrows whenever she performs Ralph's voice.
With a combination of his popular commentary and his endearingly innocent character, Ralph eventually became one of the show's most popular characters. Ralph's popularity as a character has even spread so far that the rock band The Bloodhound Gang made a song called "Ralph Wiggum," dedicated to the character and comprised solely of some of his most famous quotes for lyrics. The song can be found on their album Hefty Fine. Another band, Trillium Circle has a member named Ralph Wiggum, presumably a pseudonym. Ralph also became a prominent pop-culture figure in the 2008 U.S. Presidential election after the episode E. Pluribus Wiggum aired in January 2008. Show creator Matt Groening has stated that Ralph is one of his personal favorite characters on The Simpsons, and whenever someone asks who writes specific characters (a common misconception about the writing process), writers will most likely take credit for writing for Ralph.<ref></ref>
The character from Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Rowley Jefferson bears similarities to Ralph in terms of appearance and personality.
|Please add at least one image using the parameter "image1" when using this template.|
- The Simpsons official site A profile on the official Simpson website.
- ↑ I Love Lisa
- ↑ I Love Lisa
- ↑ This Little Wiggy
- ↑ Milhouse Doesn't Live Here Anymore
- ↑ If You Can't Wiggum, Join 'em!
- ↑ Poppa's Got a Brand New Badge
- ↑ E. Pluribus Wiggum
- ↑ Bart the Murderer
- ↑ Last Exit to Springfield
- ↑ Fraudcast News
- ↑ The Simpsons Movie
- ↑ Lisa the Vegetarian
- ↑ Little Girl in the Big Ten
- ↑ Future-Drama
- ↑ Sweet Seymour Skinner's Baadasssss Song
- ↑ This Little Wiggy
- ↑ This Little Wiggy
- ↑ Lisa's Wedding
- ↑ NeverQuest
- ↑ Big Super Happy Fun Fun Game