| Ralph Wiggum|
|Occupation|| Student at Springfield Elementary School|
Singer for Party Posse Presidential Candidate
|Relatives|| Parents: Clancy Wiggum and Sarah Wiggum|
Grandfathers: Iggy Wiggum and Mr. Kanneke
|First Appearance|| "Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire" (as a nameless prototype character)|
"Lisa's Substitute" (full appearance, as Ralph)
|Voiced By||Nancy Cartwright|
- “My cat's name is Mittens.”
- “I bent my Wookie!”
- “My cat's breath smells like cat food.”
- “My daddy shoots people!”
- “I drank blue juice from under the sink!”
- ―Ralph in The Simpsons Game
- “My Imaginary friend thinks you are stupid.”
- “I'm a pop sensation!”
- “Can you open my milk, mommy?”
- ―Asking Ms. Hoover to open his milk
- “Me fail English? That's unpossible”
- ―Ralph after receiving an academic alert in Lisa on Ice
Ralph Wiggum is a student who attends Springfield Elementary School. He is best known as the Springfield's resident oddball, and has been immortalized for his non sequiturs and erratic behavior. His lines range from purely nonsensical, or bizarre interpretations of a current event, to surprisingly profound statements that go over people's heads. It was revealed in Moms I'd Like to Forget that this was because his dad dropped him on his head when he was a baby. For this, Ralph is somewhat of an outcast among his peers, although he seems to be on good terms with a fair number of the other kids at school, such as Bart and Lisa and Milhouse.
The son of Police Chief Clancy and Sarah Wiggum, Ralph is a good-hearted and generally well-meaning boy who suffers from either severe learning and social disabilities, and/or some other form of childhood psychiatric disorder. The nature of his mentality is kept rather ambiguous, much like many of the signature traits of much of the show's cast. Like almost every other character in Springfield, he may not be quite as simple as he first seems, as evidenced by his hinted immense potential as a performer.
Ralph is quite an enigma of a child. Upon first glance, one might mistake him for a child with dementia; or perhaps they might even look at him as mentally challenged. What is definite however, is that he can't help it, as evidenced by his apparently slow grasp of things in the world around him, his difficulty in studying, and his sporadic speech impediments. It is shown in Moms I'd Like to Forget, that he was a normal, well functioning baby, until he was dropped on his head by his father. His unique manner of speech is often the source of the character's trademark random quotes, where Ralph may make a comment such as "What's a battle?", "It tastes like... burning!", or "Mr. Flanders, you're blindeded!," as well as his tendency to call his teacher "School Mommy" and on one occasion calling Superintendent Chalmers "Super Nintendo Chalmers". . He appears to have several talents. He is an incredible tap dancer and played the role of George Washington in the school play. As Washington, he not only recited his lines perfectly but also managed to play the role so well that he brought the audience to tears. In Season 2 (or Season 3), he seems not to be having speech impediments, and learning disabilities.
He is in his first year of second grade. He's also shown to be able to drive his dad's police car.
Ralph Wiggum is often seen in very awkward situations such as eating paste, crayons, worms, clay, knobs, lamps, and the Easter bunny, and other such erratic forms of behavior that have since become a staple of the character. Ralph has a rather immense imagination, and is seemingly oblivious to the world around him. As such, he is generally a cheerful boy. However, Ralph also has a hint of tragedy and dark satire to him, like almost every other character on the show. Throughout the show's history, Ralph is eternally the odd one out among his peers at school. He has connections because his father is Chief of Police. Ralph seems to generally get along with many people, as well as occasionally irritate and baffle them. After Lisa gave him a Valentine out of pity, Ralph developed a crush on her. Lisa publicly breaks up with him and Ralph is left devastated. The pair eventually become friends and Lisa has generally been nice toward him since. Bart is rather long suffering of Ralph. On one occasion, Bart is forced by his mother Marge to play with Ralph. He is at first bored with Ralph but ends up having fun after they steal Clancy Wiggum's master key to the city, and Bart eventually admits that Ralph is a friend. He is also Bart's "last resource" friend for when nobody else would spend time with him. Ralph's relationship with his parents seems to be loving and affectionate. Clancy, in particular, rather adores his son as the two do much together, such as various road trips or Ralph's first trip to a major league baseball game. Ralph can be quite a handful, however, and there are times where Clancy can be neglectful of his son as well. His favorite food is school supplies. Ralph has a multitude of imaginary friends such as Wiggle Puppy and a pyromaniacal leprechaun being particularly well known among viewers. Ralph's teacher, Miss Hoover, is indifferent to his personality and his imagination. Though she will often correct him in a dull, condescending manner, ("The children are right to laugh at you, Ralph," she tells him at one point) she has yet to outright scold him. This could be because, as he told his father, she is "tired of trying," as he usually misses the point.
Ralph was also part of a rather infamous hoax where Homer, Skinner, Apu, Lenny, Carl, Chief Wiggum and others had become so fed-up with the whole issue of voting early for the election that they decided to cast all of their votes to someone who was not only unbelievably small, but also so young and unbelievably unintelligent it would be impossible for him to be considered a candidate (and they ultimately chose Ralph). Ironically, Lisa discovers that Ralph is not only aware of what being nominated means, but is also taking the idea of being elected very seriously. Using his childish behavior, he intentionally manipulated the Republican and Democratic parties to join forces in their support of him. Ralph Wiggum is best at sleeping and acting.
Typical Behavior Edit
During class, Ralph's teacher Miss Hoover will stop lecturing the class for a moment to question Ralph's actions such as eating something he shouldn't, or saying something bizarre or oblivious. Another common 'Ralph' moment is him being at a major event, and saying something to either perplex everyone present with its insight, or point out something so glaringly obvious it's funny. Ralph has quite a knack for getting himself into sticky situations as well. Examples of Ralph moments include him gorging himself with chocolate, being profiled by a scary dentist, pretending to be a firetruck, saying that he is afraid of chicken legs, pretending he is an imaginary puppy (see This Little Wiggy). When Bart was skateboarding naked, saying "I like men now", and proclaiming that he will attend "Bovine University". He has been shown wetting himself in public. Similarly, in the future, he can be seen talking to a classmate by the punchbowl, saying "I can use the potty now.". Also, in a moment when Skinner was looking at the building sadly and remembering touching moments with kids saying things like "I know how to read" and "thank you, Principal Skinner," Ralph's distinctive voice saying "Principal Skinner, I got carsick in your office", is heard. His usual traits were also referenced in the cover of an article for TVGuide, where Ralph Wiggum was the only one to remain focused on smiling for a group photograph with most of Springfield's cast, when the others, even his father, ended up distracted by Bart Simpson streaking past the group. This seems to have subsided a little recently, although appearances by Ralph himself have been lighter. Ralph has also demonstrated signs at being borderline psychotic, as he has stated that there is a rock in his yard, where he saw a leprechaun, who told him to burn things. When he later helps save the Mayor of Springfield with Bart and Lisa, the leprechaun appears and tells him, "You've done grand laddie. Now you know what you have to do? Burn the house down! Burn them all!" with Ralph smiling vacantly and nodding in agreement.
FriendsEditRalph has been shown with different children all the time. One time Bart stood up for him to the bullies and befriended him, but most of the time he isn't bullied. He is more commonly shown with the rest of the second grade class: rolling down hills and climbing trees.
Lisa is also one of Ralph's friends, and was once his so-called girlfriend, but that ended when Lisa said that she didn't really love him. Ralph asks Lisa for test answers now.
Ralph has had many romances throghout the series. In "I Love Lisa" Ralph dates Lisa Simpson; later Lisa publicly breaks up with him and in the end they are just friends. In "See Homer Run" he is seen with Terri, playing with her and Lewis in a swimming suit with a water cannon in mid June. His future wife is possibly Lisa, although she would have had a romance with Milhouse. He was possibly killed in Orange is the New Yellow when he was taken away by a torpedo.
Ralph also "came out" during the Simpsons Movie, however this was not followed up.
Non Canon Appearance Edit
In the episode Holidays of Future Passed. There are many clones of him including 2 chiefs, a truck driver and burning clone of him. The first clone told Bart that he died and he was turned into a clone.
In the episode Days of Future Future, a future version of Ralph appears to be a police officer like his father.
It is shown in Simpsorama, Ralph's grave said 2006-2017, meaning a rumor of Ralph getting killed off in 2017 is out. This may have happened in Orange is the New Yellow.
The Simpsons GameEdit
In the PS3 and X360 versions, Ralph is an enemy in Mob Rules. Ralph later appears along with Rod and Todd Flanders as Hobbit-like children who help Homer and Marge defeat the two-headed dragon in order to get the keycard. He also appears as a holder of one of the three Sparklemon that Homer and Lisa must defeat. At the end of the game, he is seen watching the closing moments of the Simpsons family talking with God, then he sees the player and says "Daddy... someone's looking at me...".
Springfield Quotes Edit
- Why do people run from me? (wets pants)
- (Talking to Ned Flanders) Normal is an illusory state, the only constant is change.
- I ated the purple berries.
- They taste like burning! Meeeohhhhh.
- (Presenting an award) When I grow up, I wanna be a principal or a caterpillar.
- (Walking near him) Ice-cream tastes like melting.
- (To Bart) This is my sandbox. Over there is the deep end, I'm not allowed to go in there. That's where I see the leprechaun, he tells me to burn things.
- (To Lisa) You ruined the video game, and I ruined my pants.
- (To Lisa) I can't believe I used to go out with you!
- Me fail English? That's unpossible!
- Miss Hoover, I glued my head to my shoulder.
- (To Miss Hoover) Can you open my milk, Mommy?
- (To Miss Hoover) My worm entered my mouth and i swallowed it. Can i have another one ?
- My cats breath smells like cat food.
- I ated the purple berries. Lisa: how do they taste Ralph? Ralph: they taste like burning!
- (After a dam breaks and floods the city) I think I wet the bed.
- Look Daddy, I made a Ralphwich! It tastes hurty.
- (To Lisa) Hi Liar.
- (Future Ralph) I got cloneded.
- (Other Ralph clone after watching one die) That Ralph was stupid.
- All my friends have birthdays this year.
- I don't have a red crayon. Miss Hoover: Why not? Ralph: I ate it.
- I'm a furniture.
- I'm playing with Elmo.
- The happiest day of my life was when the doctor said I wouldn't hear voices anymore.
- Fun toys are fun.
- I dress myself!
- I'm pedaling backwards!
- Miss Hoover, there's a dog in the vent!
- Help! She's touching my special area.
- (After being thrown through a window) I'm a brick.
- I'm going to Africa. There's lions, and monkeys, and Santa.......
- And, when the doctor said I didn't have worms any more, that was the happiest day of my life.
- Will you cook my dinner for me? My parents aren't around and I'm not allowed to turn on the stove.
- I wanna be a triangle.
- Dying tickles.
- (dressed as princess Leia) I'm a Star Wars.
- I bent my Wookiee!
- I'm special.
- (insulting Bart) You're going to Heaven.
- (on the phone with Krusty) I flushed a potato down the toilet, now we have to live in a hotel!
- (School play about why Mr. Burns should donate money to the school) Hello, I'm Dr. Stupid. I'm going to take out your liver bones. Decapitates a Mr. Burns dummy with a saw. Oops, you're dead.
- Mr. Burns: I never liked that Dr. Stupid.
- (after being scared) I'm going back inside Mommy!
- (Watching Marge cry) Your eyes need diapers.
- Lisa is a sellout! Lisa is a sellout! Lisa, what's a sellout?
- (After falling on a wind stock) I almost died.
- (To Marge at the door) Can Lisa come out with her hands up? (Waves his hand to Chief Wiggum)
- (Squishes an ice cream cone on his forehead) I'm a unitard!
- (Covered by ants) These dots ate Itchy!
- (On bus) Go banana!
Behind the LaughterEdit
In Ralph's first credited appearance in the show was the episode "Moaning Lisa", he was considerably different in both appearance and behavior from his later appearance, although he also briefly appeared in the first episode Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire. Ralph's signature use as a character in the show is to deliver either an odd bit of behavior, or dialogue which either perplexes others or merely gives the audience a quick laugh. Originally intended to be a "Mini-Homer", Ralph eventually took on a life of his own. The staff figured that he'd also fit perfectly as the son of Chief Wiggum, a fact made canon in "I Love Lisa", (although he is referred to by his last name of Wiggum in "Kamp Krusty" before). Ralph was named after comedian Jackie Gleason's character on The Honeymooners Ralph Kramden. Matt Groening considers any lines for Ralph "really hard to write."
Nancy Cartwright, the voice of Ralph, raises her eyebrows whenever she performs Ralph's voice.
With a combination of his popular commentary and his endearingly innocent character, Ralph eventually became one of the show's most popular characters. Ralph's popularity as a character has even spread so far that the rock band The Bloodhound Gang made a song called "Ralph Wiggum," dedicated to the character and comprised solely of some of his most famous quotes for lyrics. The song can be found on their album Hefty Fine. Another band, Trillium Circle has a member named Ralph Wiggum, presumably a pseudonym. Ralph also became a prominent pop-culture figure in the 2008 U.S. Presidential election after the episode E. Pluribus Wiggum aired in January 2008.
Show creator Matt Groening has stated that Ralph is one of his personal favorite characters on The Simpsons, and whenever someone asks who writes specific characters (a common misconception about the writing process), writers will most likely take credit for writing for Ralph.
The character from Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Rowley Jefferson bears similarities to Ralph in terms of appearance and personality.
- The Simpsons official site A profile on the official Simpson website.
- ↑ Lis a Gets an "A"
- ↑ I Love Lisa
- ↑ I Love Lisa
- ↑ This Little Wiggy
- ↑ Milhouse Doesn't Live Here Anymore
- ↑ If You Can 't Wiggum, Join 'em!
- ↑ Poppa's Got a Brand New Badge
- ↑ E. Pluribus Wiggum
- ↑ Bart the Murderer
- ↑ Last Exit to Springfield
- ↑ Fraudcast News
- ↑ The Simpsons Movie
- ↑ Lisa the Vegetarian
- ↑ Little Girl in the Big Ten
- ↑ Future-Drama
- ↑ Sweet Seymour Skinner's Baadasssss Song
- ↑ This Little Wiggy
- ↑ This Little Wiggy
- ↑ Lisa's Wedding
- ↑ NeverQuest
- ↑ Big Super Happy Fun Fun Game
- ↑