- “You're Fireeeeeeeeeeeed!”
- ―Costington's catchphrase
- “You're Hireeeeeeeeeeeed!”
Mr. Costington is the chairman of Costington's department store, and Springfield Mall. Although he is usually generous, he can sometimes be insensitive. He is an active member of the Springfield Republican Party.
Many a Springfielder has worked for him. He usually says "Fireeeeeed!" or "Hireeeeeed!" when he wants to fire or hire someone, and sounds like he's yelling underwater when he does so. Homer has worked for him on three occasions: as the Thanksgiving Day Parade Santa Claus, as a mattress salesman, and as a model for a leading brand of jeans. He has also employed the The Yes Guy and Gil.
Behind the laughter
Costington is one of the few characters in the show who has eyebrows.
- Episode – "Trash of the Titans"
- Episode – "Homer vs. Dignity"
- Episode – "Brawl in the Family"
- Episode – "Kill Gil: Vols. 1 & 2"
- Episode – "The Boys of Bummer"
- Episode – "Crook and Ladder"
- Episode – "E. Pluribus Wiggum"
- Episode – "Dangerous Curves" (flashback)
- THOH – "Treehouse of Horror XXI"
- Video game – The Simpsons: Tapped Out