|Owner|| Moe Szyslak|
The Moe imposter
Marge Simpson (former)
|Employees|| Moe Szyslak|
Homer Simpson (Part-time)
Marge Simpson (former)
The Moe imposter
|First Appearance||Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire|
Moe's Tavern, or simply called Moe's, is the local tavern in Springfield. The bar is named after its owner: Moe Szyslak. It is the only known tavern in Springfield, though there is a Joe's Tavern in Shelbyville. Moe's is located right next to King Toot's Music Store; however, it will vary occasionally, and has been featured opposite both Bart's factory, It Blows (the downtown air conditioner store) and a celebrity club. It’s also hinted that it was only kept in business because Moe frequently bribes Mayor Quimby whenever he pays an inspection visit.
About the TavernEdit
Moe's is said to be one of the places where "everyone knows your name." You can often find Homer Simpson, Lenny Leonard, Carl Carlson and Barney Gumble here, as well as the owner Moe Szyslak. The tavern is notable in many ways. It has the owner's office in the female toilet, which is what Moe used as an office where he managed Homer's boxing career in "The Homer They Fall." The backroom often trades in endangered species and harbors fugitives, as well as being taken over by a pack of raccoons. The bar itself has supposedly never been cleaned; this was confirmed in the episode Mayored to the Mob when Homer and Mayor Quimby were in the bar and some rodents walked away with Mayor Quimby's change. The tavern also includes a safe room which Moe uses when held up by Snake and once a whale. The Tavern originally didn't have a designated driver policy, but Moe ended up implementing one after its drunken patrons managed to cause an increase in car crashes. (On St. Patrick's Day, Moe often tells the designated drivers to beat it due to not wanting any cheapskates on the biggest drinking day of the year.) It is also open every day of the week except Wednesday, because it is on this day that Moe Szyslak goes to the local homeless shelter to read to the children. The tavern is often robbed by Snake Jailbird. Moe also possesses a pump shotgun behind the counter.
The tavern has been the ongoing victim of Bark's prank calls in the earlier seasons to which he calls Moe for gag names that gets him laughed at by the patrons and ends with Moe threatening bodily harm to whoever prank called him. One prank call backfired on Bart, Hugh Jazz, for there was a patron of the same name Flaming Moe's
Some of the names include: I.P. Freely(I pee freely) Jacques Strap(Jock Strap) Al Coholic(Alcoholic) Oliver Clothesoff(All of her clothes off) Seymour Butz(see more butts) Homer Sexual(homosexual)
Moe's has been turned into many different businesses in an attempt to gain more money, such as a hip club, the bar "Mo's", a family restaurant, as well as a gay nightclub, and in Homer's Barbershop Quartet its name is "Moe's Cavern", a parody of the club where the Beatles played (the Cavern Club). Here is a list:
- Mo's (Gay Bar version)
- Flaming Moe's
- Uncle Moe's Family Feed-Bag
- The Nag and Weasel
- Wisky a Moe-Moe (A dream Moe painted) Parody of Whisky a go-go in LA
- Tokyo Roe's Sushi Bar
- M (restaurant inspired by college professor.)
- Meaux's (flash back, in Three Gays of the Condo)
- Moe's Pet Shop
- Eski-Moe's (Alaska, The Simpsons Movie)
- Moe's ice cream carnival
- In "Moe Letter Blues" Moe mentions moving to Springfield because its zip code on a calculator spells "boobs". This means the zip code for Moe's Tavern is 58008, also in an episode Homer walks to Moe's Tavern and his proud of himself only to find Bart waving at him from their house just up the road, suggesting that Moe's is on Evergreen Terrace and that the Simpson's House Zip ends in 8008.
- In "Homer the Smithers", Mr. Burns attempting to reach Smithers, accidentally dials the telephone number for Moe's Tavern. The number is revealed as 7648-4377 which spells out (S-M-I-T-H-E-R-S).
- Moe often tricks famous bands into performing at the tavern.
- Some episodes show an apartment above the tavern where Barney lives.
- It was implied that when it was opened, it was originally called Meaux's Tavern. This was shown in the episode Three Gays of the Condo