- “Uh... Chief?”
- ―Lou's reaction to almost everything said or done by Clancy Wiggum
Lou is an sergeant with the Springfield Police Department and by far, the most intelligent and competent officer of the Springfield Police. He is under the command of Commissioner Clancy Wiggum, and often takes the time to point out Wiggum's mistakes (often while a crime or the pursuit of a criminal—is still in progress, therefore distracting them all from the crime).
In "To Cur, with Love", in a flashback, Lou was young and Clancy Wiggum was a dog catcher. He crashed the car and Clancy Wiggum said he will be a policeman and Lou also says that he will be a policeman when he's grown up.
Lou speaks more than his counterpart Eddie. Even though he rarely comes up, when he does he is in a police uniform. Lou once said he wants to leave the force as there is more money in private security; nothing ever becomes of this, though. His favorite on duty beverage is beer.
Lou and his fellow officer Eddie do not have last names. This was revealed in the episode "The Frying Game" (Season 13, Episode 21) where the following transcripts are taken from:
- Wiggum: And I'm gonna be in the show.
- Carmen: Yes.
- Wiggum: Can Ed and Lou have producer credits.
- Carmen: Yes.
- Guy: Now what are your last names?
- Lou: We don't have them. We're like Cher.
Even though he's never stated so explicitly, other people around Springfield have insinuated that he is a graduate of Princeton University. Following his undergraduate career, Lou applied and was accepted to law school at an unspecified university, but was forced to drop out as he could not afford the college tuition. His talents are abusing power and intimidating suspects.
Lou was married to a woman named Amy, but later divorced. He complains occasionally that Eddie has been seeing his ex-wife, making Commissioner Wiggum act as mediator. Lou became the temporary owner of Santa's Little Helper, who was trained to be a police dog. At around this time, it was revealed that Lou has a girlfriend named Charquelle who had wanted to party with him. Lou also has an unnamed son who lives in Baltimore.
Behind the Laughter
- According to the Season One DVD commentary, Lou was based on Lou Whitaker.
- Hank Azaria based Lou's voice on Sylvester Stallone.
- In the episodes "Krusty Gets Busted", and "There's No Disgrace Like Home", Lou was accidentally colored yellow, being portrayed as a Caucasian character. The first appearance of African-American Lou was in Bart vs. Thanksgiving and he would be like this for the rest of the series.
- He gets a lot of murder cases, evidenced by the fact that he uses "Ya little murderer" as a metaphor on Lisa.
|Chief Wiggum ● Lou ● Eddie|
|Bobo ● Officer Sniffy ● Laddie ● Scraps|
|Marge Simpson ● Gloria ● SpringShield: (Homer Simpson, Lenny Leonard, Carl Carlson) ● Santa's Little Helper|