- “You know, if you were only old enough to grow a bad teenaged moustache, I'd go out with you in a second.”
- ―Laura Powers[src]
Laura Powers is a tomboyish teenage girl who lived next door to the Simpsons. She is the only child of single-parent divorcée Ruth Powers. She is known to be the first crush of Bart. Her jacket has a corporal insignia on it.
Laura and her mother Ruth moved into the house next door when The Winfields moved out. Marge and Ruth became fast friends; so did Laura and Bart. After Laura made Bart faint, Bart developed a crush on her, but later had his heart broken when he found out that she and Jimbo were in a relationship. After Bart prank called Moe's Tavern, Laura decided that Jimbo was no good for her and said that she would date Bart if he were a little older: "If you had a bad teenage mustache, I'd go out with you in a second." She then kissed Bart. Since the events of "New Kid on the Block", Bart and Laura have not been in contact again.
After Springfield experienced a financial crisis, Laura and her mother appeared to have moved to Detroit. Their old house is then temporarily occupied by Sideshow Bob in disguise. They have never been seen or mentioned after "The Bob Next Door". it is unknown if Laura will appear again.
Laura has a tomboyish, laid-back and quick witted charming personality. While outgoing and upbeat, she also displays a great deal of etiquette and manners, from which she owes to a strict and rigorous childhood.
Her interests include rebellious quasi-thugs, poking dead bodies with a stick, and messing with peoples's minds. Her favorite restaurant is "Two Guys from Kabul." However, she dislikes authority and disco. Some of her extracurricular activities include babysitting, telling fortunes, and dance instructing.
- On June 17 2015, as part of the level 54 update, Laura was added to The Simpsons: Tapped Out as a premium character. You first need to build the Powers house to unlock her. In the associated questline, she is openly hostile towards Bart and attempts to avoid him while she is overly attached to Lisa.
- Episode – "New Kid on the Block" (debut and only speaking appearance)
- Episode – "Marge on the Lam" (mentioned)
- Episode – "Another Simpsons Clip Show" (flashbacks)
- Episode – "The Bob Next Door" (cameo)
- THOH – "Treehouse of Horror XXVII" (Dry Hard)
- – The Simpsons Movie (cameo)
- Video game – The Simpsons: Tapped Out
- Comic story – Siege on Evergreen Terrace (cameo)
- Book – The Simpsons: A Complete Guide to Our Favorite Family
- Book – The Bart Book
- Book – Simpsons World: The Ultimate Episode Guide, Seasons 1-20