When Gladys passed on, she left Jub-Jub to her sister Jackie (Selma, Patty, and Marge's mother) who was highly unattached to him and tried to stab him with a hat pin. Jub-Jub then ended up with Patty and Selma, and became Selma's pet.
Selma once said that Jub-Jub will eat her remains upon her passing (probably a reference to an urban legend about Vivian Vance and her cats). Jub-Jub is always trying to eat dead things, and once almost ate Selma's foot, because it was asleep. Jub-Jub also likes roaches.
Behind the Laughter
The name Jub-Jub was coined by then-writer Conan O'Brien. He often said nonsensical things around the office for no apparent reason, one of which was "Jub-Jub."
"Jub-Jub" may also be a reference to the poem "Jabberwocky" by Lewis Carroll, in which the narrator warns his son to "Beware the Jubjub bird."
Robert Kane-Vaziri of heavy metal outfit Black Hawk Dawn has a pet iguana named Jub Jub.In May of 2013, filmmaker J.J. Abrams appeared on the Conan talk show to promote his latest Star Trek movie. At Conan's request, Abrams promised to work a Jub-Jub easter egg into the next Star Wars film, which he had recently been appointed to direct.
- Episode – "Selma's Choice"
- Episode – "Duffless"
- Episode – "A Fish Called Selma"
- Episode – "There's Something About Marrying" (At Veronica and Patty's Wedding)
- Episode – "Goo Goo Gai Pan"
- Episode – "The Wife Aquatic"
- Episode – "Homer Scissorhands"
- Episode – "Puffless"
- Episode – "A Father's Watch" (couch gag)
- Episode – "The Old Blue Mayor She Ain't What She Used To Be"
- Video game – The Simpsons: Tapped Out