Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The Simpsons Wiki has reached a point where things have pretty well stabilized. The major vandalism attacks have been fixed and any problems now being seen are pretty typical/commonplace for a wiki.
At the moment, this wiki has just a few policies. The main one is for Vandalism, but it isn't very specific about how long a block should be and it defines everything as vandalism. To get the process started for adding a block policy, here's an updated version of one that I wrote for another wiki:
The following infractions warrant an immediate block without going through the process of asking the user to stop, except as noted.
- Profanity: Unless quoting a character from an episode, profanity is not allowed on this wiki. Quotes with profanity in them must be relevant to the discussion at hand (i.e., users cannot use an out-of-context quote in order to use profanity and bypass this rule). Two week block for first offense, one month for second offense, three months for third offense. Fourth offense: consult with another admin to see if the new block should be double the previous block or if it should be longer, including a permanent block.
- Insults and harassment: warning on user's talk page for first offense, or go immediately a two week block if it is severe enough (a personal attack rather than insults). Second offense will be the next step up. (If the first offense resulted in a warning, set the block for two weeks.) Third offense: double the previous block. Fourth offense: consult with another admin to see if the new block should be double the previous block or if it should be longer.
- Racial slurs, hate speech or sexual statements: minimum of a one month block for first offense, three months for second offense, one year for third offense, permanent for fourth offense.
- Spam (advertisements, rants against third parties, political statements): one year block.
- Pornography: permanent block. Delete the pictures immediately and any links to those pictures.
- Inappropriate pictures (non-pornographic): warning on offender's talk page for first offense, or go immediately a two week block if it is severe enough. Second offense will be the next step up. (If the first offense resulted in a warning, set the block for two weeks.) Third offense: double the previous block.
- Note: if a picture depicts a racial slur, hate speech or a political statement, the above rules for those kinds of statements take priority. Delete the pictures immediately and any links to those pictures.
- Unacceptable user names: User accounts with profanity, racial slurs, hate speech, sexual statements or slang words for any of these in the name should be permanently blocked. For other unacceptable user names, leave message on their Talk page directing them to create a new account.
To set a permanent block, set the Expiry to "other" and fill in "infinite" for the Other time.
I did not include one for vandalism for a couple of reasons. First, some of what could be considered vandalism is pretty minor, of the "playing around" type. Sometimes it's better to not make a fuss and just undo the poor edit. Second, my definition of vandalism is "an edit that deliberately harms the wiki", and most of those kinds of edits have one or more of the above conditions, so those blocks would take precidence.
I can provide more information about this if needed, such as the rational behind the block duration for each condition. A lot of what I use this block policy for on other wikis can be summed up as follows: give people a couple chances to fix the problems they cause if it doesn't look deliberate, but if they refuse or ignore the messages, then they get blocked. Some make it known immmediately that they're there to cause problems, so we're not going to put up with their bad behavior and they get blocked quickly. —RRabbit42 (leave a message) 06:15, May 13, 2011 (UTC)