| Devil Flanders|
|Alias(es)||The Devil Flanders|
|Occupation||Prince of Darkness Devil|
|Relatives||the Flanders family|
|Voiced By||Harry Shearer|
- “It's always the one you least suspect!”
- ―Flanders the Devil[src]
Homer found that he was out of donuts at work, and even his emergency donut was gone (Homer had already eaten it). Anguished, Homer lamented that he would sell his soul for a donut. As soon as the words were out of Homer's mouth, the Devil appeared in the guise of Ned Flanders. After confirming that Homer really did want to sell his soul for a donut, the Devil produced a contract and a flaming pen. Homer signed, and the Devil gave him the donut (straight from Hell's Kitchen).
Homer devoured most of the donut in seconds, but in a rare moment of clarity, he realized that the Devil would not be able to claim his soul if he didn't finish the dounut. Homer started dancing around and mockingly singing "I'm smarter than the Devil!" The Devil transformed from his Flanders guise into a more demonic appearance and roared at Homer, "You are not smarter than me! I'll see you in Hell yet, Homer Simpson!" Then he returned back to Hell.
Homer saved the final bite of the donut and put it in the refrigerator, labelling it "Daddy's Soul Donut. Don't eat!" Unfortunately, in the middle of the night, Homer wandered half-asleep to the fridge, found himself unable to resist the "forbidden donut," and ate it. The Devil Flanders immediately reappeared to take possession of Homer's soul. Marge and Lisa pleaded with the Devil and persuaded him to hold a trial the next night, in spite of his complaints about how difficult they were being: "You Americans with your 'due process' and 'fair trials.' This is always so much easier in Mexico." Later He tells them that they'll have a trial at the stroke of twelve midnight But In the meantime, Homer is going to spend the next day in Hell being severely tortured, until the trial.
Homer's punishments during his day in Hell were being chopped into tiny pieces on a conveyor belt, and then being force-fed donuts in the Ironic Punishment Division of Hell Labs. The latter wasn't much of a punishment for Homer—he happily ate thousands of donuts and begged for more, much to the confusion to the demon administering the punishment. Meanwhile At the stroke of twelve midnight, Devil Flanders brought Homer back to the Simpson home for trial. Unfortunately, Marge had retained Lionel Hutz to defend Homer. Inept as usual, Hutz committed the blunder of allowing the Devil to hand-pick the "Jury of the Damned" in exchange for bathroom breaks every half hour.
Devil Flanders, opening the trial, stated to the jury that he and Homer had a contract—Homer's soul in exchange for a donut "which he delivered! And it was scrump-diddily-umptious!" Lionel Hutz, for his part, blundered again, reminding the jury that by definition a contract was unbreakable. But When Lionel Hutz realized he had no chance to win, he called a bathroom break and ran off by sneaking out of the bathroom window.
The Grim Reaper who serves as the judge, was about to deliver a verdict, but in a final-ditch effort, Marge produced a wedding day photo where Homer had written on the back that he pledged his soul to Marge. The jury then ruled that Homer's soul was the property of Marge Simpson and not of the Devil, the judge dismissed the case. And Lionel Hutz returned with a pizza box, believing he lost the case. Then When Marge tells him they won, he reveals that the pizza box was all empty While he was very furious, Devil Flanders conceded the loss, but he bestowed a curse on Homer's head.
The next morning at breakfast, Homer had a giant donut for a head. Marge scolded him for picking at it, and Homer was afraid to leave for work because Springfield Police officers with cups of coffee were waiting expectantly for him to come out of the house.
Flanders again turns into the Devil when he takes the kids into the church, which became the Heck House on Halloween.
Descriptive Appearance Edit
Treehouse of Horror IV Edit
Treehouse of Horror XVIII Edit
Heck House Devil TF Edit
Behind the Laughter Edit
- When the Devil Flanders gets angry at Homer at the nuclear power plant, the form he assumes is exactly like the demon Chernabog in "A Night on Bald Mountain" from Fantasia.
- Homer's ironic punishment of being force-fed donuts is a parody of the Merrie Melodies cartoon Pigs Is Pigs.
- Unsurprisingly, Mr. Burns seems to have an affinity for the Devil: "Who's that goat-legged fellow? I like the cut of his jib." Smithers replies, "Prince of Darkness, sir. He's your eleven o'clock."
- When the Devil Flanders first appears in the Simpson house, he and Bart exchange casual greetings: "Hey, Bart." "Hey."
- The Devil's hand-picked "Jury of the Damned" consists of Benedict Arnold, Lizzie Borden, Richard Nixon, John Wilkes Booth, Blackbeard the Pirate, John Herbert Dillinger, and the starting line-up of the 1976 Philadelphia Flyers. When the jurors appear in the Simpson living room, the Flyers are the only ones who frighten the Simpsons.
- Richard Nixon was still alive when Treehouse of Horror IV first aired. When he's summoned to be in the jury, he protests that he's not dead yet, but agrees to serve after the Devil Flanders reminds him that he owes the Devil a favor.
- Interestingly, no mention is made of Homer not being in a position to make any deals involving his soul due to his having already pledged it to Marge.
- Ned is an old English term for devil.
- THOH – "Treehouse of Horror IV"
- Episode – "Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass" (in Ned Flanders' movie)
- THOH – "Treehouse of Horror XVIII"
- Video game – The Simpsons: Tapped Out
See also Edit
Characters in the Treehouse of Horror series
|Treehouse of Horror|
|Evil House ● Kang ● Kodos ● Serak the Preparer|
|Treehouse of Horror III|
|Treehouse of Horror IV|
|Flanders the Devil ● Grim Reaper ● Count Burns ● Gremlin|
|Treehouse of Horror V|
|Mister Peabody ● Sherman ● Jason|
|Treehouse of Horror VII|
|Hugo Simpson ● Pigeon-Rat|
|Treehouse of Horror IX|
|Treehouse of Horror X|
|Clobber Girl ● Stretch Dude ● The Collector ● Xena the Warrior Princess|
|Treehouse of Horror XI|
|Baby Bear ● George Cauldron ● Goldilocks ● Daddy Bear ● Mummy Bear ● Rapunzel ● Troll ● Suzanne ● Snorky|
|Treehouse of Horror XII|
|Gypsy ● Hobgoblin ● Leprechaun ● Yoda ● Ultrahouse 3000 ● Harry Potter ● Lord Montymort ● Slithers|
|Treehouse of Horror XIII|
|Homer's clones ● Peter Griffin ● Billy the Kid|
|Treehouse of Horror XIV|
|Jonathan Frink Sr. ● Grim Reaper|
|Treehouse of Horror XVI|
|David ● Cyborg Bart ● Witch|
|Treehouse of Horror XVII|
|Dr. Phil McGraw ● Female Golem ● Male Golem|
|Treehouse of Horror XIX|
|Airport Stair Bot ● ATM Bot ● Bestimus Muchos ● Carnage Destructicus ● Coffee Machine Bot ● Hot Dog Oven Bot ● Kitchen Bots ● Melody ● Microwave Bot ● Nacho Bot ● Plane Bot ● Sedan Bot ● Sex Toy ● Snooze ● Squishee Machine Bot ● Three-Way ● Toaster Bot ● Grand Pumpkin ● Tom Turkey|
|Treehouse of Horror XXIV|
|The Fat in the Hat ● Strong-Man Homer|