The executive producer is essentially the head of the show. The executive producer receives first billing in the closing credits; this began during season 5. Their main duties include setting the direction for the season, and takes care of the administrative side of producing a show as well.
Below is a list of executive producers and seasons they produced:
- Matt Groening, James L. Brooks and Sam Simon: seasons 1 & 2; production lines 7Gxx & 7Fxx
- Al Jean & Mike Reiss: seasons 3 & 4; production lines 8Fxx, 9Fxx, 2F31, 2F32 & 3Gxx
- David Mirkin: seasons 5 & 6; production lines 1Fxx, 2Fxx, 3F03, 3F10, 5F24 & 5F23
- Bill Oakley & Josh Weinstein: seasons 7 & 8; production lines 3Fxx & 4Fxx
- Mike Scully: seasons 9 - 12; production lines 5Fxx, AABFxx, BABFxx, CABFxx & DABF22
- Al Jean: seasons 11 - present; production lines BABFxx, CABFxx, DABFxx, EABFxx, FABFxx; GABFxx, HABFxx, JABFxx, KABFxx & LABFxx
Additional Executive Producers:
- Ian Maxtone-Graham: Season 16 - Season 23; production lines GABFxx, HABFxx, JABFxx, KABFxx, LABFxx, MABFxx & NABFxx.
- Matt Selman: Season 17 - Season 23; HABF, JABF, KABF, LABF, MABF, NABF & PABF. Credited himself on PABF12
- Carolyn Omine: Season 17; HABF
- Tim Long: Season 17 - Season 23; HABF, JABF, KABF, LABF, MABF, NABF & PABF.
- John Frink: Season 21; MABF.