| Dr Eleanor Abernathy MD JD|
|Hair||Gray, formerly brown|
|Occupation|| Taking care of cats, |
|Relatives|| Her own cats|
Boyfriend: Crazy Dog Man
|First Appearance||"Girly Edition"|
|Voiced By||Tress MacNeille|
- ―The Crazy Cat Lady's catchphrase
Dr Eleanor Abernathy MD JD, better known as the Crazy Cat Lady, is a mentally-ill woman who always surrounds herself with a large number of cats. She usually screams gibberish and/or throws her cats at passersby. She gives Lisa one of her cats, Snowball V, who looks exactly like her original Snowball II.
When she was eight, Eleanor Abernathy was a smart and ambitious young girl who wanted to be both a lawyer and a doctor "because a woman can do anything". She was studying for law school at 16, and by 24, she had earned an MD from Harvard Medical School and a JD from Yale Law School. However, by 32, suffering from burnout, she had turned to alcohol, became obsessed with her pet cat, and would randomly take to cutting pieces of her own hair. By the time she was 40, she had assumed her present state as a drunken, raving lunatic. She once shared a cat with Moe.
In her first appearance, Lisa is attempting to cast her in a positive light, asking, "Can anyone who loves animals so much, really be crazy?" At which point, she emerges throwing cats and pursues Lisa throughout town.
Even without medication, she appears to be very intelligent. When Mayor Quimby is recalled, she runs for the mayor's office. During a candidate debate, she is asked what public-policy issues are important to her. Unlike the other candidates (who act as stereotypical dishonest politicians), Abernathy discusses issues such as health care, economy, and public education in between her screams and gibberish (and a call for cats "in everyone's pants").
The Cat Lady enjoys "brief moments of lucidity" after taking psychoactive medication. She abruptly resumes her usual bizarre behavior when Marge mentions that the "pills" are actually Reese's Pieces. Her medication helps her speak intelligibly rather than her usual gibberish. She has a hoarding disorder, which we learn in the episode "A Midsummer Night's Dream" is the current cause of her mental illness. However, in her first appearance, while Lisa is doing a news report, she asks "Can anyone who loves animals this much really be crazy?"
- The Cat Lady has a Mayan ancestor who instead throws chameleons than cats.
- She was originally going to be a one-off character but the writers liked her so much that they use her as a minor character.
- Episode – "Girly Edition"
- Episode – "I, (Annoyed Grunt)-Bot"
- Episode – "Margical History Tour" (cameo)
- THOH – "Treehouse of Horror XV"
- Episode – "Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass"
- Episode – "Home Away from Homer"
- Episode – "The Last of the Red Hat Mamas"
- Episode – "Midnight Towboy"
- Episode – "Springfield Up"
- Episode – "Yokel Chords"
- Episode – "I Don't Wanna Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
- Episode – "Eeny Teeny Maya, Moe"
- Episode – "The Blue and the Gray"
- Episode – "A Midsummer's Nice Dream"
- Episode – "The Scorpion's Tale"
- Episode – "Holidays of Future Passed" (frozen)
- THOH – "Treehouse of Horror XXIII" (Mayan)
- Episode – "Gorgeous Grampa"
- Episode – "Dark Knight Court"
- – The Simpsons Movie
- The Simpsons Comic issue #199
|Ms. Albright | June Bellamy | Belle | Billy (actor) | Booberella | Colin | Cosine | Crazy Cat Lady | Michael D'Amico | David (Treehouse of Horror XVI) | Devan Woosterfield | Dia-Betty | Mia Farrow | Ginger Flanders | Mrs. Glick | Adil Hoxha | Bernice Hibbert | Cookie Kwan | Lester | Audrey McConnell | Medicine Woman | Mrs. Muntz | Lindsey Naegle | Manjula Nahasapeemapetilon | Opal | Poor Violet | Lois Pennycandy | Pepi | Phillips | Brunella Pommelhorst | Ronaldo (Blame It on Lisa) | Dr. Simpson | Agnes Skinner | Brandine Spuckler | Jitney Spuckler | Whitney Spuckler | Spud | Dolph Starbeam | Clara Stetson | Gino Terwilliger | Dame Judith Underdunk | Veronica | Vicki Valentine | Plopper|