David S. Cohen, now known as David X. Cohen is a former writer for The Simpsons and head writer and executive producer of Futurama. He wrote 13 episodes of The Simpsons and coined the word 'cromulent', meaning 'valid' or 'acceptable', which has entered wide use following its usage in The Simpsons. Known pre-Futurama as David S. Cohen, he changed his name after joining the Writer's Guild of America as there was already another David S. Cohen (The writers guild does not allow members to have the same name). He chose X because it sounded more "sci-fi-ish", though has jokingly said that the X would make him "the David Cohen people would remember". He works with Matt Groening on many projects.
- Cohen graduated from Harvard University with a Bachelor's degree in physics and from the University of California, Berkeley with a Master's degree in computer science.
- Cohen was classmates in the Harvard physics department with Cats & Dogs and Antz director Lawrence Guterman. Both studied under physicist Sidney Coleman and Nobel Prize winner Norman F. Ramsey, as well as under Fields Medal winner David Mumford.
- His favorite movie is 'Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.
- He is a fan of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.
- Both his parents were biologists.
- He wrote for the Harvard Lampoon.
- THOH – "Treehouse of Horror V" (Nightmare Cafeteria)
- Episode – "Lisa the Vegetarian"
- THOH – "Treehouse of Horror VI" (Homer³)
- Episode – "22 Short Films About Springfield" (Reverend Lovejoy scene)
- Episode – "Much Apu About Nothing"
- THOH – "Treehouse of Horror VII" (Citizen Kang)
- Episode – "The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show"
- Episode – "The Simpsons Spin-Off Showcase"
- THOH – "Treehouse of Horror VIII" (Fly Vs. Fly)
- Episode – "Lisa the Skeptic"
- Episode – "Das Bus"
- Episode – "Bart the Mother"
- THOH – "Treehouse of Horror IX" (Starship Poopers)
- Futurama: "Space Pilot 3000", "Xmas Story", "Anthology of Interest I", "Anthology of Interest II", "The Why Of Fry", "Rebirth", "The Day the Earth Stood Stupid" (story) and Bender's Big Score, The Beast with a Billion Backs, Bender's Game (both story and part 4 of the teleplay) and Into the Wild Green Yonder.
- Beavis and Butthead: "Couch Fishing" and "Plate Frisbee".
- David X. Cohen at Wikipedia
- David X Cohen Interview
- IGN Interview With Cohen
- TV Tome Profile
- Interview with David X Cohen about the return of futurama
- An Interview About Math in Futurama, With David X Cohen, Dr Sarah Greenweld and Matt Groening