- “Mr. Burns has a mother? She must be a hundred million years old!”
- ―Homer Simpson[src]
Daphne Burns (neé Charles) is Charles Montgomery Burns's mother. She was married to Clifford Burns, and once had an affair with President Taft; Mr. Burns never forgave her. As revealed in the episode "Homer the Smithers", she is 122 years old.
From what has been seen in Homer the Smithers, Daphne has been shown to have a feisty and cantankerous disposition. As evidenced by the way she spoke in the same episode, her mannerisms are out-of-touch with modern times. instances include "Lackwit"(Idiot), "Improvinent"(thoughtless), "Atom Mill"(Nuclear Power Plant).
PresentNow all she is capable of doing is dialing phone numbers and yelling. It is also referenced that Mr. Burns killed her and her husband when he says that his parents’ cause of death was "Got in my way". However, he implied that he may have attempted to "pull the plug" on her as revenge for her extramarital affair with William Taft, but had not expected her to live another five decades, when Homer attempted to pretend to be his mother as part of a scheme to get Smithers rehired (after Homer unintentionally disconnected his mother from the phone while attempting to transfer the call to his line). When Burns almost dies, he also asks if the voice he hears is his mother, which could mean that she has died. After buying out KBBL and firing Bill and Marty, Mr. Burns comments that the lack of indoor plumbing killed his mother. Mr. Burns also once asked Smithers where his "stuffed mother" was, implying that his mother is deceased.
- Her age is most likely a reference to the oldest person who ever lived, Jeanne Calment, who lived up to 122 years old, even though she was only 121 when Homer the Smithers was released.
- She was a teenage mother, since she gave birth to Mr. Burns when she was only 18 and Mr. Burns is now 104 years old.
- However, if she was 121 by 1996 (the year Homer the Smithers was aired), that means she was born in 1875. She could have been born around 1868, as the show started in 1989, giving birth to her son in the early 1890s.
- She may be half-Swedish.
- It is implied on The Simpsons Uncensored Family Album that Daphne had another partner, or was unfaithful to her husband, as Zeph, Cornelia, and Cornelius Burns all had "father unknown" listed underneath their names.
- Episode – "Rosebud" (flashback)
- Episode – "Homer the Smithers"
- Episode – "The Mansion Family" (mentioned)
- Episode – "Fraudcast News" (mentioned)
- Episode – "Double, Double, Boy in Trouble" (seen in a picture)
- Episode – "The Falcon and the D'ohman" (mentioned)
- Episode – "Dark Knight Court" (mentioned)
- Episode – "Monty Burns' Fleeing Circus" (flashback)
- Book – The Simpsons Uncensored Family Album
- Comic book – A Brand New Burns - Part One (mentioned)