- “Nobody better lay a finger on my Butterfinger!”
- ―Bart Simpson
Butterfinger is a popular peanut-butter and chocolate candy bar. There have been 150 commercials for Butterfinger which featured The Simpsons beginning in 1988, when America's Most Wanted first aired on Fox before moving to Lifetime in 2011.
Many of the commercials featured Homer trying to get Bart's Butterfinger, but would be one-upped by Bart each time. Each commercial closes with Bart saying the catchphrase, "Nobody better lay a finger on my Butterfinger!". In 1999, this was changed to “Bite My Butterfinger!”, then in 2001, it was changed to "Nothing Like a Butterfinger!", beginning in 2010, a slightly rewritten version of the "Nobody better lay a finger" slogan, "Nobody's gonna lay a finger on my Butterfinger!", was introduced.
Most of these advertisements have been released on The Simpsons DVD sets as bonus features along with other commercials.
All Butterfinger commercials were available on iTunes and Netflix. The following is high-quality than the VHS versions of these commercials: The Butterfinger Group (1988), Bully - Maggie's Stick (1991), The Karate Lesson (1992), Butterfinger Ice-Cream Bars (1991), Maggie's Party (1992), Bart's Locker (1993), The Raid (1994), The Shrink, Bart's Homework (1994), and Bart's Nightmare (2001).
On April 1, 2013, Butterfinger announced on their Facebook page that Bart Simpson would again be their mascot.
On September 25th of the same year, Butterfinger issued another "Who Stole Bart Simpson's Butterfinger" commercial/contest, this time on the web.
- The Ullman Shorts
- The Complete Second Season
- The Complete Third Season
- The Complete Fourth Season
- The Complete Fifth Season
- The Complete Sixth Season
- The Complete Ninth Season
- The Complete Tenth Season
- The Complete Twelfth Season
- The Complete Thirteenth Season
- Burger King "Lines Man"
- Burger King "Trick or Treat"
- Burger King "Springfield Hamburger"
- Burger King "Simpsons Watch"
- The Complete Fifteenth Season
- Ritz Bits "Smart Trade"
List of commercials
So far, Bart appears in every Butterfinger commercial excluding Plastic Underwear.
|1988||No Teasing||30 seconds|
|1988||The Butterfinger Group||30 seconds||
This is also the very first time Milhouse and Springfield Elementary was shown, but these two wouldn't make their regular debut until Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire. Beginning in 1988, when America's Most Wanted first aired, Tracey Ullman shorts graphics were shown, so this may be the only time you get to see Millhouse's and Springfield Elementary's design in the shorts.
|January 1, 1991||The Bully||30 seconds||
Nelson Muntz tries to steal Bart's Butterfinger, but fails to do so.
|April 5, 1991||The Bully - Maggie's Stick||30 seconds||
A shorter version of The Bully is shown, then followed by a short commerical for the Butterfinger Ice Cream Bars, with Maggie eating Bart's Butterfinger Ice Cream Bar.
|April 6, 1991||The Shock||15 seconds||
Homer tries to steal Bart's Butterfinger, not knowing it's wired to an electrical current.
|April 7, 1991||The Shrink||30 seconds||
Dr. Marvin Monroe diagnoses a Butterfinger obsession in Bart, who refuses to share with the doc.
|November 2, 1991||Butterfinger Ice Cream Bars||15 seconds||Bart has gotten to Apu's shipment of Butterfinger Ice Cream Bars before everyone else. Apu then throws him out for it.|
|April 3, 1992||The Big Surprise||15 seconds||
Homer wants Bart to give him his Butterfinger, but instead he gets Maggie's pacifier.
|June 6, 1992||Maggie's Party||15 seconds||Maggie is having a party and as Homer goes to bring out the Butterfinger Ice Cream Nuggets he finds they are gone because Bart ate them.|
|November 2, 1992||The Last Butterfinger||30 seconds||Bart and Homer race to get the last Butterfinger in the supermarket. Homer almost had it, but tripped on a cart, giving Bart enough time to catch it.|
November 3, 1992
|The Karate Lesson - Best Friend||30 seconds||
A shorter version of The Karate Lesson is shown, then followed by a short commerical for the Butterfinger Ice Cream Nuggets, where Bart stops Milhouse from eating a Butterfinger Ice Cream Nugget.
|November 3, 1992||Angel Bart, Devil Bart||15 seconds||Bart's conscience decides whether he should share or eat his Butterfinger BB's.|
|December 1, 1992||The Karate Lesson||30 seconds||Akira tries to take Bart's Butterfinger, but Bart stops him by using his karate skills.|
|December 18, 1992||One Less Sister||15 seconds||Lisa tries to help Bart with his math homework. He says the answer is "one less sister".|
|January 29, 1993||The Beach||15 seconds||Bart takes Homer's Butterfinger while he's buried under sand.|
|April 1, 1993||Bart's Locker||30 seconds||
At school, Seymour Skinner and Edna Krabappel try to get Bart's Butterfingers in his locker, but Bart locks them in there.
|September 30, 1993||I've Been Robbed Part One||30 seconds||Someone steals Bart's Butterfingers.
Note: The suspects were Otto, Lisa, Krusty, Nelson, Mr. Burns, and Homer.
|October 30, 1993||
I've Been Robbed Part Two
|30 seconds||The thief is revealed to be Krusty the Clown.|
|December 31, 1993||The Dog Biscuit||30 seconds||Bart tricks Homer about eating a dog biscuit during a blackout.|
November 30, 1994
|The Raid||30 seconds||Bart has a nightmare in which the rest of the cast steals his Butterfinger BB's.|
January 1, 1998
|Bart has been abducted by Kang and Kodos who are confused about his Butterfinger. Bart then takes them to his leader, Homer, who gets abducted while Bart is set free.|
|May 31, 1998||Hit a Homer||15 seconds||Bart hits a "Homer" in baseball when Homer tries to steal his Butterfinger.|
|November 30, 1998||Philosophy||
|Martin Prince tells Bart to share his Butterfinger BB's with him.|
|December 30, 1998||Carnival||30 seconds||Homer wants to trade Bart's Butterfinger for a stuffed poodle.|
|January 1, 1999||Smell Your Breath||15 seconds||Bart is sitting in a tree holding a Butterfinger. Homer tries to get it, but Bart keeps moving it just out of reach. Bart finishes the Butterfinger and tosses the empty wrapper on Homer.|
|November 30, 1999||A to Z||30 seconds||
Bart and Lisa tease Homer with Butterfinger BB's while he's trying to read an alphabet book to Maggie.
|December 30, 1999||500 Easy Pieces||15 seconds||Bart watches an Itchy and Scratchy skit entitled "500 Easy Pieces" featuring a Butterfinger bar.|
|December 31, 1999||Plastic Pants||15 seconds||
Grampa is woken by the crunching sound of a Butterfinger eaten by Lisa. This is the only time in the Butterfinger commercial Bart doesn't appear in. However, Lisa does appear in this commercial, rather than Bart.
|February 5, 2001||Bart's Nightmare||15 seconds||Bart has a nightmare that the Kwik-E-Mart is out of Butterfingers.|
|May 1, 2001||Butterfingeritis||15 seconds||Bart discovers that he has a disease called Butterfingeritis.|
|December 31, 2001 (premiere)|
January 1, 2002
|Homer Holer||15 seconds||Homer digs a Butterfinger BB.|
|January 1, 2007||No Teasing (remake of 1988)||30 seconds||Bart gets in trouble for taking his Butterfinger.|
|February 19, 2007||Itchy & Scratchy: Butterfinger Test||n/a||Itchy does a Butterfinger test.|
- In "Barting Over", after watching the Baby Stinkbreath commercial, Bart says "I was in a commercial?" and then pulls out a Butterfinger and starts eating it. This is an obvious reference to the commercials.
- Butterfingers are again referenced in the Season 13 episode Sweets and Sour Marge where Chief Wiggum attempts to burn them, but as he puts it "Even the fire won't take them". According to Al Jean in the DVD commentary, this joke was made only because the contract between the 2 companies ended, otherwise they would not have made the joke.
- In the Season 13 episode "Half-Decent Proposal", Bart writes "I will not bite the hand that feeds me Butterfingers." on the chalkboard in the opening, referencing the Butterfinger joke two episodes earlier in "Sweets and Sour Marge".
- On a Season 8 DVD commentary, Matt Groening says that Milhouse was created for and first appeared in the commercials.
- The Simpsons "Stolen Butterfinger" in one minute length commercial in "Who Shot Mr. Burns?" on DVD in December 30, 2008.
- In a deleted scene in "I Am Furious (Yellow)", on Bart's trap for Homer, Homer grabs a butterfinger bar but tosses it after realizing it's a Butterfinger.
- The Butterfinger catchphrase, "Nobody better lay a finger on my Butterfinger", was also referenced in a cutaway gag in the Family Guy episode "Mother Tucker", where Brian compares Stewie selling out to when the latter starred in Butterfinger commercials. The scene cuts away to Stewie mimicking the Butterfinger catchphrase while sitting on a park bench and holding a Butterfinger, adding a forced "D'oh" at the end.
- In the episode ¨Treehouse of Horror XXVIII¨, In the CGI opening, ¨The Sweets Hereafter¨, Many characters from the show are in a bowl of candy on Halloween night. Nearly all of the names of the candy them are references to real-life candies. This includes Bart, who is a ¨Barterfinger¨ a clear reference to Butterfingers. Homer even accidentally calls Bart Butterfinger in the short, but quickly corrects himself.
- "It's Neato!" (1988-1990)
- "Nobody better lay a finger on my butterfinger!" (1990-1998)
- "Bite my butterfinger!" (1999-2001)
- "Nothin' like a butterfinger! (2001-2010)
- ''Nobody's gonna lay a finger on my butterfinger'' (2010-present)